Why AMD Athlon xp chip is hotter than Pentium 4 ?

kamir

Joined May 25, 2004
Lately,i saw on a website that they claim they have make a experiment by testing both microproccesor chip.They found out that when the fan on the cover of chip is remove,AMD is burn but Pentium is not.At here, i wana know what is the reason causing AMD chip so hot than can up to 290 celsius so fast.I think it is impossible.

Then , i found a explanation for myself but i dono is true or false.REcently ,i have studied semiconductor.I have learned a section called avalancher breakdown(refer the defination,u might think of it why i say is avalancher).

Make a simple decribsion,when both chip are in normal function,Pentium have a temparature of 35 degree celsius and AMd have 45 degreee celsius(this value came from my friend that he tested with a software that can measure the temperature of a chip).When the fan is removed,Pentium chip has a T of 45' and AMD has T of 80'.Because of this temperature of 80',semiconductor experiences a avalancher breakdown.The electron was given enough energy to clashing with the valence electron of the pentavalen and trivalan atom,1 e knocks 1 e,then 2 e knock become 4 e,and continue like that.Then the Tof AMD chip pump so fast until the T of 290'.

Do u think is true?plz give some comment on my explanation

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

i will not try to explain what's the inside of both chips you mentioned. when a chip requires a fan to cool down the temp. it should be strictly employed or else what's the point of using a fan. you must remember practically all electronic parts generate heat depending on the voltage/current supply and lenght of time use.

your question should have been addressed to the manufacturer of AMD why their chip runs hotter than P4. ;)

Mjollnir

Joined Apr 22, 2004
At load both chips are very similar in power dissipation..

but @ idle P4 has more fangled built in thermal management features, which the AXP does not have...

kamir

Joined May 25, 2004
the reason i wana know is what is the different of AMD athlon xp and P4?
and y amd temperature so high?
can explaint?

thks

just make me curious only

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Although I am no expert on P4s or AMD chip design, I would suggest you look at the thermal management design of the chips, and by this I am not refering to the fan, I am refering to the heatsink design actually on the chip itself which works to extract heat from the chip and disipate it to the atmoshere.

As for avalanche breakdown, I am not quite sure what you mean in your original post, but avalanche breakdown is not generally a desirable characteristic in a semiconductor and as a result I can't fully see why it would be incorporated into a strict design for a processor chip. You are correct in suggesting that avalanche breakdown would cause significant increase in temperature, but it is not easily controlled as the electric fields associated are quite substantial. Also the current flow when avalanche breakdown occurs often causes the semiconductor device to destroy itself.

achaahaa

Joined Mar 21, 2015
i found a explanation for myself but i dono is true or false.REcently ,i have studied semiconductor.I have learned a section called avalancher breakdown(refer the defination,u might think of it why i say is avalancher).

watson