Which way should these capacitors be installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyElectronicsGuy

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Mod edit: snipped image of Transformerless PSU - Please review the Terms of Service. These are not allowed in any form.

Hi all, I'm trying to build this and was wondering two questions:

How do I install the capacitors shown on the device? Which way should the be installed (polarity)?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, it's hard to tell from the picture, but they don't look like electro-lytic capacitors. IF that's the case then they have no polarity. IF that's the case then you can install them either way.

Not sure of the construction, is that powered by 110 volts AC? I'd be scared as heck to mess with that circuit - especially since you don't have a schematic. All you have is an artist's rendition of what he sees. And his job is to draw pictures, NOT to create schematics from devices he's LOOKING at.

If I were going to build something like this I'd build on a board. Not with flying leads the way the drawing shows. Too many parts that can short to each other. And with 110 VAC coming in - the LAST thing I'd want to do is touch the capacitors after power has been applied to the circuit.

Want some sound advice: Don't build, BUY! IF Radio Shack sells such a thing then I'd opt for purchasing it over building it - especially without a reliable schematic. And no, I would not want to chance a schematic from the drawing. Diode placement can be anybody's guess.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's a non-isolated, mains-powered circuit and is very dangerous (also discussion of main's powered circuits are not allowed on this Forum).
If if it doesn't kill you, it can still give you a nasty shock. :eek:
Do not build that circuit.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That's a non-isolated, mains-powered circuit and is very dangerous (also discussion of main's powered circuits are not allowed on this Forum).
If if it doesn't kill you, it can still give you a nasty shock. :eek:
Do not build that circuit.
A microwave oven has a transformer - the 2kV 1/2A secondary is just as lethal as raw mains, and can jump further.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello

As the others already told you, transformerless mains powered circuits are not allowed over here
when I see the same circuit again a ban will follow

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.