Which type of non electrolytic capacitors should I use?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
No, I went to that much trouble for my entire career in electronics.
I didn't go to "electronics school" so I had to teach myself.
Do B.S.E.E. courses spend less than 12 hours on capacitors?
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is, "yes".:(
Many customers won't pay for that.

Its all too easy to end up reading datasheets as a hobby because you have nothing better to do.....................

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Many customers won't pay for that.
Customers pay for education every time they pay for labor.
Education is a major reason why you can earn a labor fee, by knowing what capacitors do and which kind is right for the job.
If your customers don't pay for labor because you never studied capacitors or read datasheets, they are probably paying the right price.:rolleyes:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Customers pay for education every time they pay for labor.
Education is a major reason why you can earn a labor fee, by knowing what capacitors do and which kind is right for the job.
If your customers don't pay for labor because you never studied capacitors or read datasheets, they are probably paying the right price.:rolleyes:
You're trying to imply that I don't have what most customers won't pay for - I have the goods, but those who won't pay don't get.

OTOH: There's no shortage of traders who make grandiose claims about their expertise so they can charge their customers loadsa money - and hope they don't get caught out.

Sucking the audiophools dry is one of the most favourite feeding grounds.....................

Goxeman

Joined Feb 28, 2017
I would tell you to use ceramic SMD capacitor with NP0 or C0G dielectric, if you want a brand for reference, Murata or Kemet are a reference for this in quality, but expect higher price too

Regards

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I would tell you to use ceramic SMD capacitor with NP0 or C0G dielectric, if you want a brand for reference, Murata or Kemet are a reference for this in quality, but expect higher price too

Regards
Tempco is low on the list of priorities for supply decoupling. I'd worry more that capacitance can change with applied voltage - but not much more.

Apparently; voltage dependent capacitance change isn't necessarily trivial, but as long as you're aware of it you can check the datasheet and see what you're getting.

Unless you're running something like a switcher at 100kHz+, the ceramics will just be taking the edge off ripple current in the electrolytics. Exact capacitance value isn't critical, but the more you can afford/fit in the space - the better.