which scripting language is best for digital design engineer/Verification engineer.

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hi,
I am a Hardware engineer. My dream is to be a FPGA engineer/ Digital Design Engineer. I noticed that, some of the job descriptions have python/perl/tcl. When I did a preliminary research, Python seems to be very vast subject.

Is there any specific topics I will have to focus on in python? or Do I have to learn the entire python?
If python is not the better suited scripted language for verification please suggest me other language.

I am familiar with Embedded C, Verilog, VHDL.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there. :)
I am a Hardware engineer. My dream is to be a FPGA engineer/ Digital Design Engineer
If you're trying just to get your foot in the door of a reputable company then I can see why you would limit yourself to verification.Python is the way to go...every bit of it.Matlab is my scripting language of choice in computational science only because of the built-in tools for computing and visualization, while Perl, Python,Ruby, Scheme, and Tcl are languages that support high-level programming or scripting that are able to glue a range of different tools for computing visualization,data analysis,file/directory management, user interfaces, and Internet communications, developing programs of an administering nature, mostly to organize your work, using languages where the abstraction level is higher and programming is more convenient. Python stands out as the language of choice for scripting because of its very clean syntax, outstanding modularization features, good support for numerical computing, advanced use of scripting that I wish to employ is searching and manipulating text(data) files, managing files and directories, rapid construction of graphical user interfaces (GUIs).
Python scripts are for the most part truly cross-platform
& faster to develop than programs in a traditional languages like Fortran, C, C++, or Java. This is just my point of view & I am not an electrical engineer. In any case... you should not limit yourself in pursuit of your Dreams. I wish Good luck to you!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The best language is the one your shop uses. You would be well off learning Python and perl, as well as TCL–enough to be able to talk about them. Then choose one (I would pick between Python and perl) to learn well. Python and perl each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and you should know them both but realistically being an expert in one of them is generally enough unless you find yourself in a job where the other is the main thing you do.