Which is the best simulator for testing circuits?

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I have been working on a power supply circuit which i built few months back, but the circuit doesn't seems to work... I don't know what's the probable cause. To check i want a simulator which can help me with this... I tried to perform on ltspice but it's library doesn't have all the components i need. IMG_20180425_141621.jpg

This is what I'm working on. I know there are ready made PCBs available for this, but i want my own built by me.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Thanks for replying.
But how can I give all the characteristics that a component have.
Any alternative to this?
There are tutorials on creating spice models on the internet..
Many manufacturers also supply spice models for most of their components..

If there is a certain component you are having trouble locating,etc.. then it would be helpful if you actually posted the information on that so assumptions and better answers can be given..

I really don't see anything in your schematic that isn't available in ltspice now.. You may just need to use a suitable alternative from a different manufacturer though..

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have been working on a power supply circuit which i built few months back, but the circuit doesn't seems to work... I don't know what's the probable cause.
Since you've already built the circuit, why not use normal techniques to troubleshoot?

Is this a circuit that you designed? Or is it something someone else designed and you don't know how, or if, it works?

Using a simulator for a power supply circuit seems like overkill.

A right reading for people like me who don't like reading rotated schematics:
upload_2018-4-25_10-10-55.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Did you just build up the circuit in its entirely and then discover that it doesn't work? Or did it work at some point and has stopped working?

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Since you've already built the circuit, why not use normal techniques to troubleshoot?

Is this a circuit that you designed? Or is it something someone else designed and you don't know how, or if, it works?

Using a simulator for a power supply circuit seems like overkill.

A right reading for people like me who don't like reading rotated schematics:
View attachment 151305
I've built the circuit on perfboard, and now it's not a easy task to unsolder each component to check... I was stupid that time that i build directly on perfboard without knowing whether it works or not.
Now I'm looking to scavenge those components to build new but only after simulation.
Why is it overkill? Please explain... And pardon me for the circuit orientation.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi rahul,
With the circuit powered On, are you able to measure and mark the circuit with the values you measure.?
If yes, I will suggest some points to test in the circuit.
E

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Why is it overkill? Please explain...
Using simulators to simulate simple circuits is akin to using a calculator to add two 3 digit numbers.

Since it's already built, you can take measurements to find out what is or isn't working correctly. If you designed the circuit, you already know what the voltages should be. If someone else designed the circuit, then you'd need to be able to analyze the circuit to see if it's working as expected.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi rahul,
I have marked 8 Test points, Tp1 thru Tp8
Power up the project and measure the Voltage on these Tps with respect to 0V/Gnd, post your marked up drawing.

E
rahul1.png

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
hi rahul,
With the circuit powered On, are you able to measure and mark the circuit with the values you measure.?
If yes, I will suggest some points to test in the circuit.
E
With circuit powered on... I measure nothing on multimeter.

Btw this is what I've made so far.20180306_183514.jpg 20180306_183458.jpg

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
That is an update to the Greek power supply kit shown as a project at Electronics-Lab.Com. It had many overloaded parts and was not reliable. It did not produce its rated 30VDC at 3A so I fixed it about 13 years ago. Many people have built my updated version with no problems. Today Chinese companies have copies of the original defective circuit.
You show part of my fixed version but it is missing the voltage and current potentiometers and two 2N3055 power transistors each with an emitter resistor.

A simulation will not fix it, you must analyse its problems. What problems do you have with the circuit?
Does it produce a regulated output voltage adjustable from 0V to +30V?
Does it produce a regulated current output from a few mA to 3.0A?
Are its heatsinks large enough to properly cool the driver transistor and output transistors?
Did you use any parts substitutions?
Is your perfboard wiring a tangled mess that causes the circuit to oscillate?

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
That is an update to the Greek power supply kit shown as a project at Electronics-Lab.Com. It had many overloaded parts and was not reliable. It did not produce its rated 30VDC at 3A so I fixed it about 13 years ago. Many people have built my updated version with no problems. Today Chinese companies have copies of the original defective circuit.
You show part of my fixed version but it is missing the voltage and current potentiometers and two 2N3055 power transistors each with an emitter resistor.

A simulation will not fix it, you must analyse its problems. What problems do you have with the circuit?
Does it produce a regulated output voltage adjustable from 0V to +30V?
Does it produce a regulated current output from a few mA to 3.0A?
Are its heatsinks large enough to properly cool the driver transistor and output transistors?
Did you use any parts substitutions?
Is your perfboard wiring a tangled mess that causes the circuit to oscillate?
The circuit does not outputs any voltage.
Have not used substitution for any component.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
So you are saying even when the transformer is connected and powered ON, there is no Voltage on TP1.???
At TP1 voltage is about 27V.
And also i forget to mention, the pnp transistor Q3 along with R22 (3.9k) gets very hot while operation, and blews up.
Same happened now, have to get a replacement now.
I think there is some serious problem with the circuit that I soldered.