Which communication is best for underwater bots ?

Abhinav Himanshu

Joined Feb 18, 2016
I have been asked to design an underwater robot having pi and arduino in it . But since the bot is underwater so we are facing a problem on which communication board is best suited , we are designing the bot work at max 2 m depth , please suggest some communication board that we should use or anything else if possible . :):):D

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I have been asked to design an underwater robot having pi and arduino in it . But since the bot is underwater so we are facing a problem on which communication board is best suited , we are designing the bot work at max 2 m depth , please suggest some communication board that we should use or anything else if possible . :):):D
Over what distance? Ultrasonic? Is cost a big factor? Sound (DTMF)? Is other wildlife going to be a problem (sharks, dolphins, whales)?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I guess the Navy likes sound for underwater communication. Not sure you have much bandwidth to work with however. You might be able to do 300 bits/sec with AFSK and a hydrophone.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
You are facing a world wide problem submerge 2mtr is not the problem it's the distance.
Using low power ultra sonic does few hundred meter (15-20Khz depending salt/ temperature).
However FSK modulating is a problem echo, Doppler and distortion plus a narrow band due to things mentioned above.
All possible but it will take a lot of signal processing and I don't think that a standard board is available as yet.