- Joined Dec 22, 2017
When making things, you very often need to solder. So I got a soldering station and some RoHS solder. But I have not really been able to solder due to poor ventilation in my house. I want to avoid inhaling harmful fumes. So is going outside and using a regular fan enough? Would being too close still be a concern if they are being blown away? If the visible fumes are being blow away, are all of the harmful things too? Do they tend to stay around for a long time? I plan to solder almost daily, so even if it only has a slight adverse effect, damage could possibly build up over time. I want to make sure I am taking all the proper precautions. And is a fume extractor good enough if you are inside, or do you still need to open a window, etc? Is it doing its job if you see all the fumes going to it? I will probably get one in the near future, but the cost of decent ones can be prohibitive.