Where can you buy silicone rubber (elastomeric) buttons?

kyle7119

Joined Feb 11, 2011
I pulled these buttons out of some old electronics and I am looking to purchase some more for a project. However, I can't seem to find anything like these on Digikey, Mouser, or Arrow. Does anyone know where these would be sold?

(click on image to see full size)

20180216_090550.jpg

20180216_090541.jpg

20180216_090531.jpg

20180216_090559.jpg

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Googling "conductive rubber" might help. There are various repair kits advertised for gaming switches/buttons.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There is an interesting post here about how it is very difficult to manufacture these buttons correctly with amateur tools:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/where-to-get-or-how-to-create-rubber-buttons/

The problem is commonly the copper that these buttons press against. The copper gets slightly oxidized. Try polishing the copper with a good quality soft pencil eraser. If the buttons suddenly work again, it issue was not the buttons.

Then spray a tiny amount of silicone oil onto a cloth and wipe the copper until it appears dry. The small, small amount of oil keeps the copper from oxidizing again while still giving electrical contact. Do not get any oil on the buttons. The copper should not appear wet. If you get too much on, clean with alcohol and try again.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
The problem is commonly the copper that these buttons press against. The copper gets slightly oxidized. Try polishing the copper with a good quality soft pencil eraser. If the buttons suddenly work again, it issue was not the buttons.

Then spray a tiny amount of silicone oil onto a cloth and wipe the copper until it appears dry. The small, small amount of oil keeps the copper from oxidizing again while still giving electrical contact. Do not get any oil on the buttons. The copper should not appear wet. If you get too much on, clean with alcohol and try again.
Or make a pcb with gold contacts. Not terribly expensive these days.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
This post got me interested. SFE and Adafruit sell something that might work. In particular, I'm interested in lighted switches. It's not clear how big the conductive rings are but it looks like the SFE ones are big enough to put a 5050 RGB LED under them. Would prefer the Adafruit ones because they are half the price...

kyle7119

Joined Feb 11, 2011
This post got me interested. SFE and Adafruit sell something that might work. In particular, I'm interested in lighted switches. It's not clear how big the conductive rings are but it looks like the SFE ones are big enough to put a 5050 RGB LED under them. Would prefer the Adafruit ones because they are half the price...
Those are the only ones that I have found as well. However, they will not work because the rubber nubs on the bottom to hold in it place are configured for square groups of four. If you look at my buttons, it has 2 rubber nubs per button, allowing them to be cut into single buttons.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I pulled these buttons out of some old electronics and I am looking to purchase some more for a project. However, I can't seem to find anything like these on Digikey, Mouser, or Arrow. Does anyone know where these would be sold?

(click on image to see full size)

View attachment 146163

View attachment 146164

View attachment 146165

View attachment 146167
I suggest you search digikey (or mouser, or newark) for high quality buttons that might meet your specs. Such as this one: