Where can I get electrical steel?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I'd really like to get my hands on a virgin strip roll. I'm judging by the answers so far, that is a pipe dream?
Hola strantor, I am following the thread with interest, but:

had you said that 20 years ago I would have invited you to keep "strip roll" with you...and hopefully, the rest with me.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I need a long strip roll, like the kind you would use to make toroidal transformers. Hell, even E-I laminations would be nice.

any leads?
Too bad you went at my place a few years ago. I scrapped out a bunch of old power transformers, lighting ballast units and a load of other odds and ends like large current sensing transformer and power supplies.

I had something close to 3 tons of assorted cores in every shape size and configuration you could imagine. If you gave me a good excuse for what you needed them for I probably would have let you have a few 5 gallon buckets of what ever sizes and shapes you wanted.

BTW if you are looking for cheap laminated or coiled steel toroid cores to reuse stop by your local power company and ask if you could have a few of their old current transformers. They tend to scrap out lots of them and they are not all that hard to strip down.

BTW if you are looking for cheap laminated or coiled steel toroid cores to reuse stop by your local power company and ask if you could have a few of their old current transformers. They tend to scrap out lots of them and they are not all that hard to strip down.
...And if you're willing to haul the entirety of their current 'surplus' away, it's commonly free-to-take:) --- Just make certain any potting oil is certified "legally Cl free" and documented as such --- else the EPA shakedown starts at $10K and only gets 'better'...:mad:

Best regards
HP

Last edited: