Where are high PF rectifiers used? (curiosity)

alpheratz

Joined Nov 10, 2019
Hello everyone, sorry if I sound stupid with such question but I studied time ago rectifiers with high power factors that emulate variable load after graetz bridge to reduce current harmonics number. They use buck boost or fly-back converters for that. Are these implementations even popular in commercial devices?
Where are they used? Do they already use them in new generation battery chargers for mobile phones? Or in some particular applications? I think such a type of system is efficient but has a higher cost than classical simple graetz rectifiers with ICs like 7805 because there's also a control part and duty cycle generation etc ...

Please tell me anything you know about it, I would appreciate it...

alpheratz

Joined Nov 10, 2019
they have a much higher power factor compared to a simple graetz+a linear voltage regulator+capacitance....
This "loss free resistor" after graetz bridge, is built from the emulation, with a control loop and a converter like flyback or buck boost, makes it possible to avoid the consequences of those current spikes at the diodes (many current harmonics). It's a bit hard to explain it all because it's not simple but I think there's much information about it. If you still are curious and don't find anything interesting surfing on the internet write me in PM and I'm gonna send you a schematic and tell you what I know as soon as possible, but not during the very next days because I'm a bit busy.

You can see here something that I feel like is very similar:
https://ecee.colorado.edu/~rwe/references/APEC90.pdf

I think it's a popular circuit (or at least I hope so).

Last edited: