When is a phase angle negative in any circuit?

CMcG72

Joined May 13, 2016
When I first started learning about series and parallel circuits, everything seemed Ok for me. Now I am learning about RC and RL circuits and the trigonometry that goes with them, including the arcsin arccos and arctan. I am just wondering when in any circuit the phase angle will be negative.
My teacher at first said he wasn't going to look for proper quadrants of our vector diagrams, but now if it is supposed to be in Quadrant IV, it has to be in Quadrant IV, not I like usual.
Thanks

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In an inductor, the current through it lags the voltage across it (phase angle between voltage and current is negative).
Does that answer your question?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Phase angle is relative. If signal A's phase is +ve with respect to signal B's, then signal B's phase is negative with respect to signal A's.

CMcG72

Joined May 13, 2016
In an inductor, the current through it lags the voltage across it (phase angle between voltage and current is negative).
Does that answer your question?
It kind of does, we are working with inductors and capacitors right now, RC and RL circuits. We are also working with impedence, voltage, siemens, and current triangles, trigonometry.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
All the time. Every situation with a positive phase angle has a dual formulation with a negative phase angle, and they both represent the same thing.