When did news reporting style (interviewer/ee) change personal point of view (1st to 3rd person)??

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
What is going on with how people speak on news stations and in general. It seems most prominent in news reporting where the person interviewing is giving a recount of what happened and they keep saying "you" instead of "I". Like "you just see people running, you see people shooting" or "you feel bad when these things happen and you never think it could happen to you" - These people are giving a report of how they feel about a situation and as they personally experienced these things and these are their feelings, shouldn't they say "I just saw people running, I saw people shooting" or "I feel bad when these things happen and I never thought it could happen to me"

I looked at a lot of old news interviews from the 80's and 90's and there were never interviews like this. People didn't talk like this. It seems to be more prevalent on certain channels/networks and especially with a certain "type" of people (not really sure what type they are, but how they come across in speech and such). I also see this in both video news and print/web.

I posted on this site b/c I thought some of you might have noticed this trend. I also really don't know where else to ask something like this to general public..

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I knew there was something done differently, but couldn't put my finger on it. By George, I think you've got it.

Back at n the day, there were news "reporters", who reported the news. They were telling you s what was happening first hand. "I saw..." "I feel..." "I was attacked..."

Nowadays, we create the news. News entertainers tell us what we should see or hear, rather than reporting on what they experienced. Hence, the use of third (oops) second person.

I don't think this is an improvement.

Last edited:

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that noticed this. Are you being sarcastic when you say you couldn't see what the difference was? I always felt uncomfortable when hearing these types of reports like "what's going on here" "Why are they telling me how "I" ("you" in their speak) should feel or think. When I hear this I usually turn the channel, turn it down or "tune it out" (focus on other stuff an ignore what they say).

I think this stuff started happening after 9/11 (and happened with some 4/19 & 4/20 incidents - OKC & WACO, etc - prior to 9/11)

It seems that this is VERY prevalent with documentaries and with BBC programs. BBC used to be pretty decent in presenting the facts and news but now it seems totally different and has gone to straight out "telling you" every little thing (and not in an informing - let you decide - way). What I really can't stand is these youtube bloggers/presenters who present this way. WHO are these people telling me how to feel, think, etc.!!?? It is especially bad when looking at political webcasts and these "no-names/bodies" are telling people things that are just speculation or total opinion. It is VERY bad for younger generations who never knew a different way of "reporting".

The big question is why the sudden change? WHY did the major networks suddenly start speaking like this? It had to be part of a "plan" b/c reporters who didn't speak like this started doing it. Very odd how it came about.

Anyone else see this or have feelings about this?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't watch broadcast news, but I have noticed on alleged documentaries that they ask the audience things like, "Will the answer be discovered?"
To which I respond, "Why are you asking me? You're the one doing the documentary. Don't you know how your show ends?":confused:
(I bet you know by the end of this hour.)
Then I change the channel.:p

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I don't watch broadcast news, but I have noticed on alleged documentaries that they ask the audience things like, "Will the answer be discovered?"
To which I respond, "Why are you asking me? You're the one doing the documentary. Don't you know how your show ends?":confused:
(I bet you know by the end of this hour.)
Then I change the channel.:p
Rethorical questions, No. 12. Sure you use them even if you do not realize it.

Think of the so many you could run across in advertising spoken/writen.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
WTF is going on with how people speak on news stations and in general. It seems most prominent in news reporting where the person interviewing is giving a recount of what happened and they keep saying "you" instead of "I". Like "you just see people running, you see people shooting" or "you feel bad when these things happen and you never think it could happen to you" - These people are giving a report of how they feel about a situation and as they personally experienced these things and these are their feelings, shouldn't they say "I just saw people running, I saw people shooting" or "I feel bad when these things happen and I never thought it could happen to me"

I looked at a lot of old news interviews from the 80's and 90's and there were never interviews like this. People didn't talk like this. It seems to be more prevalent on certain channels/networks and especially with a certain "type" of people (not really sure what type they are, but how they come across in speech and such). I also see this in both video news and print/web.

I posted on this site b/c I thought some of you might have noticed this trend. I also really don't know where else to ask something like this to general public..
USA, UK or...? Not watching TV myself, for more than 8 years now.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It is just current style.

RogueRose is like "What is this new style." and I'm like "I don't know, it just started happening!"

Like that :). It won't always be like that.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
...The big question is why the sudden change? WHY did the major networks suddenly start speaking like this? It had to be part of a "plan" b/c reporters who didn't speak like this started doing it....
I used to teach creative writing and one of the exercises I had the students do was to write a short story using the second person. It didn't take long before the students discovered why it isn't done very often: the second person makes the reader uneasy due to its dictatorial nature. Now, of course, the sheeple are being conditioned for a dictatorship, so the second person is often the pronoun of choice by the talking heads.

FYI:
First person is I, we, me, my, our, etc.
Second person is you, your, yours.
Third person is he, she, they, them, those, etc.

And, by the way, RogueRose's profile states that he is male.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I used to teach creative writing and one of the exercises I had the students do was to write a short story using the second person. It didn't take long before the students discovered why it isn't done very often: the second person makes the reader uneasy due to its dictatorial nature. Now, of course, the sheeple are being conditioned for a dictatorship, so the second person is often the pronoun of choice by the talking heads.

FYI:
First person is I, we, me, my, our, etc.
Second person is you, your, yours.
Third person is he, she, they, them, those, etc.

And, by the way, RogueRose's profile states that he is male.
I agree. I also believe it started after 9/11 and propogated throughout. It is used to subconsciously include the observer in the action to a point where the observer will share the opinion of the reporter.

I quit TV 2 years ago and got a dog instead. I get my news by reading, it is much easier to filter. There is a TV at work and the news casts are terrible.