What's your favorite place to buy SMT components?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Good evening everyone!

So it's finally happened--I've started designing my first PCB made up of SMD components. I have the designs laid out and am about ready to send the designs to the manufacturing company to get them made. Before I do that, though, I'd like to start sourcing my components. I have already ordered a PIC18F1220SO from Microchip, but I am looking for a good place to find a MIC5219 voltage regulator, and various 0805 resistors and capacitors, as well as a 1N4148W surface mount diode. Do you guys have a preferred supplier for surface mount components? Digikey seems to be my favorite at this point, Mouser is a bit more expensive, but I'm wondering if there are others that might be cheaper?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Matt

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
the big three are good for bulk (reels of 5000 parts) but if you need mixed values to get started, check other places too, for example amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/0805-Resistor...d=1363558190&sr=8-3&keywords=smd+resistor+kit

also you may consider using common size for passive components like 0603 or 0805. for starters i'd recommend sticking with SOIC package for ICs, for ones with smaller pitch, you will need fine solderwick to fix any bridges. lamp with magnifier is also a must.