What's the name of that component that looks like a capacitor?

robotallien

Joined Aug 22, 2018
hey does anyone know the name of the component that looks like a capacitor but actually only let's the electricity through when it's tilted a certain way. you can also hear the small metal ball inside when you shake it. I have no idea what it's called but I need it for a project...

thanks in advance!

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
also just out of curiosity are the top ones still available? because it sounds cool if it wouldn't make noise but I think they don't sell it anymore because of the mercury?
They're still available; just Google on "mercury tilt switch" and you'll see they're sold just about everywhere.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If it looks like a capacitor, smells like a capacitor, and tastes like a capacitor, it's a capacitor :)

What you are talking about however is not a capacitor. As pointed out already, it is probably a tilt switch used for things like pinball machines.

I used to have a couple of these dont know where they went over the years. One was the mercury type the other was a ball and points type. Never got to use either one.

The modern electric space heaters now have a tilt switch in them. If the unit tips over, the power is cut off. They are mostly the counter balance type.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Hg tilt SWs were just the thing in my gamma ray- self potential logging probes as probes did not have to be opened to turn on power. Power was 4 Hg D batteries which lasted for my tenure, circ. 1959.