What's the difference between CAT 5e and CAT 6?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Wireless or wired?
TV is wireless; as are all computers.

Last night everything started working properly. Haven't a clue what changed after a certain hour last night.

do an ipconfig /refresh
iMac computer. Wouldn't know off hand how to do that; or if it would work.

If you have a bad cable
HAD a bad termination. When inserting into connector two wires decided to swap position. I cut that off and re-terminated it.

its best to have the majority of the cable fixed in place, with sockets at the ends, fixed to / in the wall is normal.
That is the plan.

Yesterday the wife and I spun the cable around a steel cable that stretches between the garage and the house. That way the cable is no under its own weight, but rather hanging on the steel cable. Otherwise the sun and the heat would make it sag like crazy.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Perhaps I wasn't clear about how I was running the cable between the detached garage and the house. Apologies. Will that be an issue? Remember, I purchased CAT-5e rated for outdoor use. I added the steel cable to support the CAT-5 cable. The cable raps around the CAT and is grounded both at the garage and the house. It sort of provides a ground or shield - "sort of". Also, 100 feet has been more than sufficient, with about 5 feet extra at one end and about 10 feet extra at the other.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
TIA568A or TIA568B

US tends to use TIA568A,
Europe seems to use TIA568B
Not been in my experience.

568B has been used more in US

For general guidance, use the standard that is already existing in the home/premise.
If its a brand new install (no existing cable system), you have a choice, but keep all wiring the same standard (including patch cables). 568B is currently more easily to obtain...at least in the US, although that's slowly changing.

Its true that both standards are electrically the same, only the wire color to pin assignment is different.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Gigabit cross-over cables are supposed to cross only pairs 1 and 2. By definition, gigabit is Auto-MDIX.
"By definition, gigabit is Auto-MDIX"

What do you mean?

Auto-MDX usually only works well with same vendor devices. That's not saying it doesn't work at all.
Many times the devices have trouble negotiating. I usually fix the port speed and duplex if the directly connected devices are from different vendors.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
"By definition, gigabit is Auto-MDIX"

What do you mean?

Auto-MDX usually only works well with same vendor devices. That's not saying it doesn't work at all.
Many times the devices have trouble negotiating. I usually fix the port speed and duplex if the directly connected devices are from different vendors.
My experience has been a little different. But there may be a reason for that. In my experience, Auto MDX has always worked.

But I only use it in prototyping. I configure my switches with the specific settings for the attached devices. I’ve seen a network interruption flip settings and when a device comes back online, then they cannot make a network connection.

Your mileage may vary.

Update: removed extraneous quote

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
My situation was different also. I had to deal with managing litterally 100s of routers and switches in a government wan/lan. I couldn’t afford to have devices fail mdx negotiations on top of troubleshooting the problem at hand. So we hard coded port speed and duplex.