Whatever happened to the "off" switch?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
This brings up a pet peeve of mine.
Why do they not program devices to automatically reboot if they get into a stuck state (like with a watchdog timer)?
I've had several different devices that will lose their WiFi connection and will reconnect only by powering them down and back up.
Why can't they recognize that and just perform a reboot, the same as if they were powered off and on?
That would also apply to AK's Android TV.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
This brings up a pet peeve of mine.
Why do they not program devices to automatically reboot if they get into a stuck state (like with a watchdog timer)?
I've had several different devices that will lose their WiFi connection and will reconnect only by powering them down and back up.
Why can't they recognize that and just perform a reboot, the same as if they were powered off and on?
That would also apply to AK's Android TV.
Exactly, little thought seems to be given to these kinds of problems. Increasingly the customer is expected to do more and more diagnostics just to get something basic to work.

Next time you see someone in this situation, just listen to the conversation, there are lots of phrases like this:

"Maybe the X needs to Y"
"Did you try doing X?"
"I wonder if..."
"When did you last update it?"
"Try going back to the previous screen and using option J"
"What did you do last time?"
"Are you sure its connected to the WiFi OK?"
"Try pulling the power cord out and waiting ten seconds"

and so on, this is how people spend their time these days, quite often a conversation like that takes place in every home these days, probably at least once a week!