What would be the appropriate rechargeable battery Mod for a Gameboy DMG

8BitSpirit

Joined Jan 20, 2016
I am certainly new to this but I'm a quick learner. I'm having trouble deciphering all of the schematics and conflicting information on rechargeable batteries. Currently I know that several people use Lithium-ion battery mods. I've tried this myself with limited success. Information I've read tells me that Li-Ion batteries are dangerous and if over discharged can be dangerous or fatal to the battery itself. Right now I have a bunch of these chips "TP4056 5V Micro USB Lithium Battery Charging Board". I'd rather not waste them but I am going to be selling these mods so I want to make sure I'm not selling something that will soon break. Is it safer to use perhaps simply rechargeable AA batteries, and would this even work with this particular charging module?

Any and all information on this topic will be much appreciated, I'm kind of learning by trial and error without help.

(below is a link to the project which I copied with my gameboy color with, as I said, limited results. Soldering wired directly to a battery turned out to be very difficult for me and I'm sure that's not the correct method of attachment for rechargeables ... right? I'm so confused)

http://kalshagar.wikispaces.com/Repair+-+Gameboy+battery+upgrade

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The modules are for 4.2V batteries, and its a fixed voltage, only the charger current is programmable, if your game-boy works on on 3V, you need to drop 1.2V if you use the lithium battery.

8BitSpirit

Joined Jan 20, 2016
Do I understand correctly that you're saying the only batteries this module will actually charge would be batteries that are 4.2v lithium ion? (I.E., I couldn't just connect 2 rechargeable lithium energizer batteries)

I fear I may just be SOL on this mod unless I find someone who has actually done it themselves who can walk me through... or until I take a class on electronics technology. ('^_^)

8BitSpirit

Joined Jan 20, 2016
I appreciate the info. I have other sources telling me they use lithium ion batteries of all different volts with these chips connected to Gameboy Pocket and Color with no issues. Guess I'll just wire one up and test it heavily before actually selling one. Doesn't matter how or why it works for now, just that it works. lol

- Interested in the why and how still if other people have any input. for the record.