What were your encounters with "new" technology?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I remember when my dad bought a desktop PC which could be connected to THE INTERNET!!!

I remember being so excited. I was wondering if there were special buttons for the internet. Such an alien world.

Just over a decade now. Wow.
I built (well assembled) one of the very first IBM PCs in the Pittsburgh area. No internet connections then.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Had high tech installed and portable equipment to use,read post 15 and 18

need to copy and paste another story from( Loosewire hit the road post number 7.)

When you guys started posting about high tech equipment,it reminded me of my

first encounter with the best system you could have,with I T back up and all the

digital equipment before it was over the counter. Don't know the cost.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Spinaker ,Played ice hockey with builders of

I. B.M. computers in Boca Raton, Fl

I.B.M. had a big plant there you must have heard

the city name.

Last edited:

dickcet

Joined Jan 8, 2012
Hi this is my first post..
I first made a xtal radio using a rasor blade & a pin, for the cat wisker
took a long time to find the "hot " spot on th rasor
Thanks Dick....

hwy101

Joined May 23, 2009
Hi this is my first post..
I first made a xtal radio using a rasor blade & a pin, for the cat wisker
took a long time to find the "hot " spot on th rasor
Thanks Dick....
When I was a kid I built a xtal radio too, it did not work.
it's been about 50 years, maybe I should try again

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Then my father got the BMW 3.0 SI in 1976 i think. It was one of the first cars with electronic fuel controlled by a "computer" It had 3 litre Straight-six 200hp engine. And the car was quite light about 1500 Kg. Back in those days that was quite impressive numbers.

This is not the same car. But it was the same colour. I had the car several years after my father. And I was quite sad the day I sold it as it was a good friend. But then I could lay my hands on a BMW e32 with a 5 litre V12 engine I could not resist.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The grammar Nazi inside me compels me to tell you that you should use when instead of then, in your post.

When means "at the time that..."
Then means "after that time..."
Just a friendly advice.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The grammar Nazi inside me compels me to tell you that you should use when instead of then, in your post.

When means "at the time that..."
Then means "after that time..."
Just a friendly advice.
I hope my misspelling did not ruin your experience of this thread. I might be pert im some of my postings in the off topic forum:rolleyes:. But I never ever comment on wrong spelling. Or minor grammar errors in the in forum. As a general rule "play the ball, not the player."

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
By all means, I 'm not criticizing your writing. Don't get me wrong.

Personally, as I want to improve my language skills, I ask the others to correct me in grammar and spelling mistakes.
I thought you might want the same. I apologize for the discomfort.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
By all means, I 'm not criticizing your writing. Don't get me wrong.

Personally, as I want to improve my language skills, I ask the others to correct me in grammar and spelling mistakes.
I thought you might want the same. I apologize for the discomfort.
Where did you learn to speak English? Your English is near perfect form what I have seen.

A Slovenian friend of mine asked English speakers to correct his English. He went from having a great deal of problem forming a sentence to near perfect English in less than a year. I'd suggest other forum members whose primary language is not English adopt your attitude. Maybe even put it in their sig that they would like help.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Where did you learn to speak English? Your English is near perfect form what I have seen.

A Slovenian friend of mine asked English speakers to correct his English. He went from having a great deal of problem forming a sentence to near perfect English in less than a year. I'd suggest other forum members whose primary language is not English adopt your attitude. Maybe even put it in their sig that they would like help.
If you live in a country with no current influence over its commercial partners, you are expected to learn the dominant languages, not the opposite.

I took English lessons since I was 10 and until I reached 16. Computer games took it from there and do until now. But I have a knack for languages anyways. I speak French too, can read a bit of Spanish and did Japanese for a year but quit, as I didn't have time to study. I hope I 'll pick them up again in the future.

On the other hand, Firefox's dictionary corrects a spelling error of mine every two posts, so I still have a long way to go. My most common ones at this time are referrence and appology.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Spellcheckers are a major godsend for me too. The only issue is keeping track of the correct words.

I tried to learn French in middle school, but my teacher (who was Hispanic) vacationed in Mexico, where her family was attacked and killed by banditos. She survived, but was unable to continue teaching (which was no major surprise). That ended that.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you live in a country with no current influence over its commercial partners, you are expected to learn the dominant languages, not the opposite.

I took English lessons since I was 10 and until I reached 16. Computer games took it from there and do until now. But I have a knack for languages anyways. I speak French too, can read a bit of Spanish and did Japanese for a year but quit, as I didn't have time to study. I hope I 'll pick them up again in the future.

On the other hand, Firefox's dictionary corrects a spelling error of mine every two posts, so I still have a long way to go. My most common ones at this time are referrence and appology.

Spelling I am horrible at it. I would not survive without spellcheck.

English is a difficult language but people learning it have a huge advantage. First off as you pointed out to remain competitive you almost have to learn. But there is so much in English movies, books games (as you mentioned).

I know a very small bit of Italian but my main problem is that I don't get to use it. I have a friend that id Italian with poor English skills. I think maybe we might be able to teach one another.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You guys are old. :)
The first computer to come into my house ran DOS. It had a "turbo" button on the front. When you pushed it, it would latch in, and a dual 7 segment display would change from "33" to "66" - that's how you knew when you were really cooking with crisco. I played snake on it. Then we got one that had windows 3.1 on it and all the wonder of Microsoft Entertainment Pack, complete with mahjjong and chip's challenge. That one had a modem I believe. The computer after that was really a beast. It had a 28K modem and all the AOL free minutes I could use. I remember looking nervously over my shoulder (maybe 12 y/o) waiting for nude pics to load, one line of pixels at a time. It was also on this computer that I learned visual basic, and I wrote a program that could open my dad's CD drive (upstairs) from my CD drive (downstairs) across the LAN (that I set up); I played that trick on him all the time and he never caught on.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
T06, should be nice,we didn't ask about his Rooster standing in the road.

I wanted to shout "there a car coming so many times" I would yell at the

screen" Look Out" no reply from........now he's proud of giving "Boo Boo's

with smiley faces,where the message.The next thing you know he will have

an animated movie to display.