what voltage we should we apply to diode for it's reverse (leakage) current test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016
please tell us what voltage we should we apply to diode for it's reverse (leakage) current test?
and how can we confirm that the diode is ok or not after result.
same way also tell for forward current test of diode?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
please tell us what voltage we should we apply to diode for it's reverse (leakage) current test?
and how can we confirm that the diode is ok or not after result.
same way also tell for forward current test of diode?
Check the test conditions in the datasheet.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You apply either the voltage the diode sees in your circuit, or the (hopefully larger) rated voltage of the device, which ever makes the most sense for your use.

When you apply the voltage measure the current. A reading low enough to meet the spec means the device passes that test. Reject any parts that read above the maximum.

The test is non destructive when the reading is within spec.

Additional testing should be done to confirm you do indeed have a diode and not an empty box.

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Check the test conditions in the datasheet.
in data sheet so many perameters given for volt & current both, so will u please tell me which we have 02 (volt & current) perameters we have to select for reverse current test & which 02 perameters for forward test?
also in data sheet it is not given ac or dc volt to be supply ? also clear this too.

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016
You apply either the voltage the diode sees in your circuit, or the (hopefully larger) rated voltage of the device, which ever makes the most sense for your use.

When you apply the voltage measure the current. A reading low enough to meet the spec means the device passes that test. Reject any parts that read above the maximum.

The test is non destructive when the reading is within spec.

Additional testing should be done to confirm you do indeed have a diode and not an empty box.
diode is not in circuit, test is to be done for screening of components before soldering it to circuit.
in short pl. tellme if u know, from data sheet of corresponding diode no matter low or high voltage diode, which voltage & current we should we refer for reverse as well as for forward test?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
in data sheet so many perameters given for volt & current both, so will u please tell me which we have 02 (volt & current) perameters we have to select for reverse current test & which 02 perameters for forward test?
also in data sheet it is not given ac or dc volt to be supply ? also clear this too.
In the datasheet,there is forward current vs voltage graph. And there is some reverse current (max) at some given voltage. If the test was done at AC, then the results would be rapidly flipping between forward and reverse so that is not a good or easy way to get a result, is it.

So, assuming DC.

As for exact values, any reasonable number can be used for your experiment, the point is, you only have a reference to compare to if you use the same as in the datasheet.

I cannot help you find the number used in the datasheet because you have not posted the part number you are using or the datasheet for the part.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would test it at about 10% above its PIV rating. That way, anything you ship to a real customer will meet their acceptance test. Anything that fails the test, ship to China so they can sell it as a counterfeit part on EBay!

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016
In the datasheet,there is forward current vs voltage graph. And there is some reverse current (max) at some given voltage. If the test was done at AC, then the results would be rapidly flipping between forward and reverse so that is not a good or easy way to get a result, is it.

So, assuming DC.

As for exact values, any reasonable number can be used for your experiment, the point is, you only have a reference to compare to if you use the same as in the datasheet.

I cannot help you find the number used in the datasheet because you have not posted the part number you are using or the datasheet for the part.
attached is the diodes data sheet & i have 'capacitor input (pai) filter 0 -230 volt & 04 amp. dc power supply' with suitable volt & amp. meter also having LCR multimeter.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
attached is the diodes data sheet & i have 'capacitor input (pai) filter 0 -230 volt & 04 amp. dc power supply' with suitable volt & amp. meter also having LCR multimeter.
This datasheet is for a whole series of diodes. Which specific diode do you have? Or, is your part number a secret that we have to guess?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The 320UMR60 is the 600 volt device. Look at the ELECTRICAL RATINGS table. The max voltage (Vrrm) is spec'ed at 600 volts. The max reverse current (Irm) is spec'ed at 12mA.

So apply 600 VDC and read no more than 12mA.

Forward voltage (from ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS) specs the max forward voltage (Vfm) at 1.65V when the max forward current (If) of 320 amps is applied.

A 230 volt 4 amp supply can do none of these tests, though you could use it to do a less stringent test: a part that fails Vrrm at 230 volts or Vfm at 4 amps cannot pass the higher limits.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
part no. is 320UMR60.
I'm a bit concerned for your safety, working with hundreds of volts and asking questions like this do not make me confident that everyone will still be healthy tomorrow.

Be careful and remember that a real professional can be hired to check out what you plan to do for a much lower price than a hospital bill or a funeral.

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016
The 320UMR60 is the 600 volt device. Look at the ELECTRICAL RATINGS table. The max voltage (Vrrm) is spec'ed at 600 volts. The max reverse current (Irm) is spec'ed at 12mA.

Forward voltage (from ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS) specs the max forward voltage (Vfm) at 1.65V when the max forward current (If) of 320 amps is applied.

A 230 volt 4 amp supply can do none of these tests, though you could use it to do a less stringent test: a part that fails Vrrm at 230 volts or Vfm at 4 amps cannot pass the higher limits.
it concludes like these ~
0) we can give 230 vdc in reverse bias to diode & corresponding mili amp. reading should not be more than 12 ma.Than the diode is ok in reverse bias within the facility range we have.( here we simply connect + of dc 230 to K & - of 230 to A thr' series connection of mili amp. meter)
1) pl. tell me how much dc volt we have to give in forward bias test? (here we connect +ve of DC to A & - of dc to K)
am i correct for reverse bias test. if yes than is is ok.or pl.make the req. correction.
same way yet i am not clear with ur reply for forward bias test.pl. make it more easy to make me understand it correctly.

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016

it concludes like these ~
0) we can give 230 vdc in reverse bias to diode & corresponding mili amp. reading should not be more than 12 ma.Than the diode is ok in reverse bias within the facility range we have.( here we simply connect + of dc 230 to K & - of 230 to A thr' series connection of mili amp. meter)
1) pl. tell me how much dc volt we have to give in forward bias test? (here we connect +ve of DC to A & - of dc to K)
am i correct for reverse bias test. if yes than is is ok.or pl.make the req. correction.
same way yet i am not clear with ur reply for forward bias test.pl. make it more easy to make me understand it correctly.
The answer depends on how the reverse current is specified or your particular applications requirement.
pl. refer attached data sheet for part no. 320UMR60 for which the same part is to be test for it's screening purpose before fix in to the circuit.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.