What to do with excess of lithium cells ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
About 200-300 of the 18650 size cells tested good in need of use and some 21700s. Need a deserving project before they get old...:oops:

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Electric lawnmower? You can get a Neuton with a dead SLA battery for next to nothing and upgrade it with lithium. But what you have could be enough for an e-bike or trike. There's probably deals to be had on bikes/scooters with dead batteries.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Electric lawnmower? You can get a Neuton with a dead SLA battery for next to nothing and upgrade it with lithium. But what you have could be enough for an e-bike or trike. There's probably deals to be had on bikes/scooters with dead batteries.
And, if you charge it in your apartment, you can eventually have a campfire.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thank you; bassbindevil.
I like both suggestions. I have a beheaded two-stroke baby-tiller that could use an electric transplant too. A riding mower starter motor resting in my junk box + a pack of several lithiums is a possibility.
Some spare ANR26650 lithium cells are performing fine as flashlights; these are supposed to be 3.6V, not 4.2V, but work fine. Older equipment using packs of 3 x NiCd for memory retention work very well with a 18650 instead.
A dozen DeWalt and other brands tool packs ended well resurrected replacing one or two sick cells. Time to look for a e-bicycle...
If the vulgar solar garden lights were upgradeable to lithium, would be nice. That would be a ~5V panel and a dusk to dawn sensor... hmmm... Will check if using two of those garden lights with their solar panels in series can make it to feed a 18650.

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The ANR2660 battery has completely different LiFePO4 chemistry with a voltage that is lower (3.6V max charge) than an ordinary older Li-PO or Li-Ion (4.2V charge). Charging to 5V might cause an explosion and fire.