WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!?!

WheelsintheJIC

Joined Oct 11, 2017
IMG_3420.JPG A long time friend of mine found out that I training to be an electrician and asked me to look at his battery charger because it wasn't working. I opened it up and I saw this. I've never seen one before but I'm pretty sure that it's the source of his problem. I need some help here I don't have a clue what it is or where to get one. Help please.
Thx. DaFox.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Wire- wound power resistor. Unknown resistance, unknown wattage, 10% tolerance.
I can only add ceramic cased. Looking at the remains if you can find more of the ceramic chips you might find a value. A Google of "wire wound ceramic resistors" will get you images of similar ones. If you can find a schematic of the charger it should be easy to pick out.

Ron

WheelsintheJIC

Joined Oct 11, 2017
I think I have all the ceramic pieces but I'm not sure. I'll look when I get home.
So even if I did manage to identify the resistor, where could I even get one? This doesn't seem like something that Amazon would carry.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I think I have all the ceramic pieces but I'm not sure. I'll look when I get home.
So even if I did manage to identify the resistor, where could I even get one? This doesn't seem like something that Amazon would carry.
They are very common, including using Amazon. The trick is knowing the resistance value and wattage. Resistors like that used the way that one was in an old battery charger are generally low resistance like around 10 ohms and high wattage like around 10 watt but I won't guarantee that to be correct. Like I mentioned, generally speaking. Anyway, they are very common. Here is an example and surprised at the cost as they generally run a few bucks.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Disconnect at least one end of the resistor and measure its resistance with an ohmmeter.
If you can find the ceramic pieces you might be able to piece together the pieces and it might say on it the value of the resistance.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
That resistor may not even be broke it may of just got too hot when over loaded the thing behind the top of it is a fuse.
By broke I mean the wire in it may not be just the case but the black box thing if you look at it has fuse wrote on it.

Old cars had 3 of these to change the heater blower they would get hot and pop open then you had a nice glow under the dash of the car when the heat was on

Last edited:

WheelsintheJIC

Joined Oct 11, 2017
The charger has an automatic 50amp start feature. He said that he had it hooked up and was trying to start his car. He could hear the charger working hard and then it went silent and he could smell burning.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
200-300A is nearer the mark for a car starter motor. No wonder the poor charger struggled!
Check the fuse behind the blown resistor.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can disconnect one side and as suggested measure across it. If it does have a break you can measure each outer axial lead to the break and sum them. Just about anything to get an idea of what it actually was originally. You know the charger saw a heavy load so little by little you start looking through it. A cooked resistor is sometimes only a symptom, meaning something else failed and caused the symptom you are seeing. Sometimes we replace a burned part only to see the replacement cook. More images of the inside wiring may help in figuring out the design used.

Ron

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I take the aluminium case resitors when I need high power,like these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_306805011_nr_p_n_feature_seven_br_0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:16310091,n:!16310161,n:306506011,n:306767011,n:306804011,n:306805011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:3071222011&bbn=306805011&ie=UTF8&qid=1507809448&rnid=3071213011

You only must know the right resistor value and power value.

The ceramic resistor, like the one in your picture is also available at amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_306...805011&ie=UTF8&qid=1507809828&rnid=3071213011

Again, the values must be know.

Bertus