What sort of conference or meetup is there for test and measurement equipment?

ballsystemlord

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hello,
So I was thinking about how for computers we have CES and HotChips. For security conferences, to show off products and discuss computer security, we have conferences like defcon and the like. But what sort of conferences or meetups are there to show off new test and measurement equipment?

Thanks!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are indeed MANY exhibitions for showing off new test equipment, but they are not advertised to the general public because that is not who buys the stuff. Elsewhere in this AAC website you should be able to find listing for some of those exhibitions. At least I think they would be there.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Depending on your location? Locally when it comes through my area there is "The IRIS Show" Testing, R&D and engineering professionals seeking the newest product innovations and technical advances from major manufacturers and synergistic companies. The Expo features dozens of exhibitors offering information, solutions and hands-on demonstrations of new and emerging products. You can see what they have local to you. Then there is also the NCSL (National Conference of Standards Labs) with a focus on Test Measurment and Diagnostic Equipment aimed primarily at Calibration Labs. The IRIS shows normally feature a good free lunch but the open bar ended years ago. :) You can also try a Google of "Trade Shows" including terms like Measurment Equipment Trade Shows or similar text.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While you may find a conference that is specifically for test equipment, you are more likely to find test equipment booths at conferences targeting more specific audiences. For instance, at something like MilCom (Military Communications Conference), there are lots of exhibitors showing off any kind of test equipment that can be used in that field.

Many conferences have student prices that are very low, including free. When I was attending MilCom, the normal registration was well over $1000, but the student rate was under $100.

But you might want to ask yourself what your goal is -- if you can't afford to pay to attend a conference, how likely is it that you would be in a position to pay for any new T&M equipment being shown there?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Addendum: I should note that I'm just a student, so I'm particularly targeting "free to attend" conferences.
What I suggested earlier was free to attend, have you looked at the IRIS shows? I also asked your location and if you choose not to share a location so I have no idea what to suggest. Trade shows vary by geographical area.
Well, I tried googling "electronics expo", and got tons of references to a company by the same name.
Gee, I just Googled "measurement equipment trade shows" as I suggested earlier and I am seeing all sorts of trade shows including the NCSL Conference I mentioned earlier. I told you what to Google with suggestions as to wording. You apparently did not take that suggestion. I also Googled "control and instrumentation exhibitions" and I get pages of shows. Now if you can't follow simple directions on what to Google and the terminology to use I guess I am out of ideas.
I have never had admission for a trade show since the vendors pay for their booths and want you buying their wares. Names like Tektronix, Fluke. Agilent and a host of others have paid booths and as I mentioned a free lunch.

Ron

ballsystemlord

Joined Nov 19, 2018
What I suggested earlier was free to attend, have you looked at the IRIS shows? I also asked your location and if you choose not to share a location so I have no idea what to suggest. Trade shows vary by geographical area.
Reloadron said:
Depending on your location? Locally when it comes through my area there is...
Umm, maybe I'm just bad at English, but I did not perceive what you wrote as, "What is your location?"
My location is Desoto county Florida, USA.

Gee, I just Googled "measurement equipment trade shows" as I suggested earlier and I am seeing all sorts of trade shows including the NCSL Conference I mentioned earlier. I told you what to Google with suggestions as to wording. You apparently did not take that suggestion. I also Googled "control and instrumentation exhibitions" and I get pages of shows. Now if you can't follow simple directions on what to Google and the terminology to use I guess I am out of ideas.
I was telling you what I did so far and the results I obtained. I did not intend to imply that I completely ignored you. (EDIT: But now that you've stuck the idea into my head...);)

I have never had admission for a trade show since the vendors pay for their booths and want you buying their wares. Names like Tektronix, Fluke. Agilent and a host of others have paid booths and as I mentioned a free lunch.

Ron
I'd imagine that they'd have booths which they pay for. My goals are rather simple. In no particular order:

1: Hands on look at T&M tools.
Many times T&M equipment is never reviewed by anyone. So many options are never considered nor their features and performance understood. For example, yesterday, as a result of following your suggestion, above, I came upon a news article talking about how GW Instek's MPO-2000 series of oscilloscopes support user created python scripts. Programmable T&M equipment is a feature which I'd suggest all T&M equipment have. Years ago, I was actually quite surprised to find that I'd have to hack all of the equipment I could purchase in order to just program them.

2: Technical discussions about opperation.
Although some conferences may be just to list products, I'm of the opinion that some of them would feature engineers talking about the theories of opperation of the equipment that they designed. With all of the modern T&M equipment I have ever seen not having theories of opperation nor schematics, like older equipment would have , it would seem to me that the next best thing would be to listen to talks from the people who design the equipment or speak to them personally.

Thanks

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Well alrighty, Florida. The reason I asked was these instrumentation shows can be regional so when you Google include Florida. I just tried "Test and Measurement shows in Florida" and got some results. Another thing is choosing the wording to feed Google. Just as another example a Google of "instrumentation trade shows in Florida". Since you are in Florida I doubt you want to see shows in LA or Chicago, :).

Funny you mention it but many of my early shows I targeted TMDE (Test Measurment and Diagnostic Equipment) with a focus on MATE (Modular Automated Test Equipment) as I watched automation for data acquisition become popular. I have been retired over 10 years now but still make a few local shows and meet people I worked with. Good way to see what's new and sometimes catch a free lunch. :) I started with Vacuum Tubes so it's been a hell of a ride and staying abreast of change was a full time effort. Absolutely try and find shows and talk to vendors. There are the usual big names and many new up and coming. Get to know them and become familiar with what is out there and available.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
2: Technical discussions about opperation.
Although some conferences may be just to list products, I'm of the opinion that some of them would feature engineers talking about the theories of opperation of the equipment that they designed. With all of the modern T&M equipment I have ever seen not having theories of opperation nor schematics, like older equipment would have , it would seem to me that the next best thing would be to listen to talks from the people who design the equipment or speak to them personally.
That's going to be hit and miss. Often times the people at the booth with the equipment are strictly sales people (often called "sales engineers") and actually have little or no understanding of the equipment and can do little more than spout the same bullet points that are on the propaganda sheets. A step up are "applications engineers" and these folks are also hit and miss, but when you find a good apps engineer, they often have a lot of good stuff to say and are worth talking to. Almost never will you find the person that designed the equipment (and it's usually a pretty large team with any one person being focused on one small aspect of it) at a trade fair booth. If you find a trade show that is really highlighting the newest gadgets and if the manufacturer is being highlighted as part of that, you may get lucky.

ballsystemlord

Joined Nov 19, 2018
That's going to be hit and miss...
That's a shame. I've heard stories of when my grandfather, who was an EE back before EE existed, would go to local meets. Unfortunately for me, most if not all of those guys are probably dead by now and the meetings were never official in any way. They'd just flock over to Radioshack or somewhere.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's a shame. I've heard stories of when my grandfather, who was an EE back before EE existed, would go to local meets. Unfortunately for me, most if not all of those guys are probably dead by now and the meetings were never official in any way. They'd just flock over to Radioshack or somewhere.
That's a very different thing. Those groups still exist -- I'm a member of a group that meets weekly and has been doing so continuously since 1976. There are still active amateur radio clubs that meet regularly, too. But these kinds of groups are certainly a dying breed, though.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
If someone has a good idea worth investing he needs to ask those interested in signing a nondislosure.
It is when demonstrating the new test equipment that significant interest can arise and new and useful claims become credible.

At a later stage where marketing and investment has grown to a level where patents and meetings with industry begin,
The expos can have competitors where within an industry are spies, usually various specific industries are interested and sometimes there can be a marriage with other developers that believe combining the products will give them greater advantage.

It takes patience, marketing and investment to go along with electrical engineering,
It just does not happen very often without the other practical business development skills.
It is hard to get the attention of key industry leaders at an expo's because there are so many elephants in the room.
So most go home disappointed and later find the idea was replicated as a result of disclosing the concept.

Take a look at RCA and the number of patents they had. That was grandparents era, It has'nt really changed.

ballsystemlord

Joined Nov 19, 2018
That's a very different thing. Those groups still exist -- I'm a member of a group that meets weekly and has been doing so continuously since 1976. There are still active amateur radio clubs that meet regularly, too. But these kinds of groups are certainly a dying breed, though.
True enough. But I wouldn't know who to talk to, since as I said, at least some of these people are dead (and the others would be a million years old if they're still alive), nor where to go to. But I figured that a good place to go would be conferences since engineers would show up there. But someone else pointed out that the engineers might not show up, only the sales people.