What should I do when use Arduino to control TFT lcd

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Backlighting level? Been a while so I can't remember offhand. Know there were problems with regular LCDs with backlighting that I seem to remember.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You are making things very difficult for yourself and you are going to damage them both if you haven't already. Just test them using appropriate tutorials as I suggested in posting #3. Then you will know if they are damaged or not. That will save us all a lot of guessing. Here is a tutotial for each one. Use them exactly as they are written.
0.96" TFT LCD color display:
https://tronixstuff.com/2019/08/29/arduino-ips-lcd-tutorial/
1.44"" TFT LCD color display:
https://www.electronics-lab.com/project/using-1-44-color-tft-display-ili9163c-arduino/

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
You are making things very difficult for yourself and you are going to damage them both if you haven't already. Just test them using appropriate tutorials as I suggested in posting #3. Then you will know if they are damaged or not. That will save us all a lot of guessing. Here is a tutotial for each one. Use them exactly as they are written.
0.96" TFT LCD color display:
https://tronixstuff.com/2019/08/29/arduino-ips-lcd-tutorial/
1.44"" TFT LCD color display:
https://www.electronics-lab.com/project/using-1-44-color-tft-display-ili9163c-arduino/
Thanks.
What I did the testing happened before I posted here.
I made new order now and I'll do the test again following your links.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
IMHO, your earlier testing destroyed or damaged the displays you had. You can’t expect to operate a 3.3V device at 5V without damaging it. Be very careful with your new devices.
Thanks.
It's true.
My second order came with few pics of OLED, that can work at 3 - 5V range, I made a resistance divider as picture attached, supply 3.3v from 5v, the OLED doesn't turn on at all, and the 3.3 became into 2.7 when measured with load.

the oled may be more durable than tft? may I just use 5v?

resistance divider.jpg

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thanks.
It's true.
My second order came with few pics of OLED, that can work at 3 - 5V range, I made a resistance divider as picture attached, supply 3.3v from 5v, the OLED doesn't turn on at all, and the 3.3 became into 2.7 when measured with load.

the oled may be more durable than tft? may I just use 5v?

View attachment 237718
That does not look like a resistance divider to me. Its just some double sided circuit board with male headers attached.
You can not run a OLED display from a resistive divider. You need a regulated supply. Depending on the display, you may need an adjustable divider to control the back-light.
What is the model number of your new display? Look up on-line and find a tutorial for using it with an arduino. Try thr tutorial, exactly the way it is written. If you change things or make up your own tests without understanding what you are doing, you are going to destroy your new display too.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
That does not look like a resistance divider to me. Its just some double sided circuit board with male headers attached.
You can not run a OLED display from a resistive divider. You need a regulated supply. Depending on the display, you may need an adjustable divider to control the back-light.
What is the model number of your new display? Look up on-line and find a tutorial for using it with an arduino. Try thr tutorial, exactly the way it is written. If you change things or make up your own tests without understanding what you are doing, you are going to destroy your new display too.
Thanks.
Well, I attached the backside picture of resistance divider made by 3.3K + 1.5K.
The whole oled may need a regulated supply, how about the 5V pin out from Arduino UNO?

rdb.jpg

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thanks.
Well, I attached the backside picture of resistance divider made by 3.3K + 1.5K.
The whole oled may need a regulated supply, how about the 5V pin out from Arduino UNO?

View attachment 237734
If the display needs 5V then use the 5V from the Arduino.. If it needs 3V then use the 3V output but don't experiment with it. As I already mentioned, find a tutorial on-line for the display you have and wire it up exactly as it shows you. Then download the program and get it working before you damage it..
Once you get it working, leave it wired that way and experiment with the software to get it to do what you want.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
If the display needs 5V then use the 5V from the Arduino.. If it needs 3V then use the 3V output but don't experiment with it. As I already mentioned, find a tutorial on-line for the display you have and wire it up exactly as it shows you. Then download the program and get it working before you damage it..
Once you get it working, leave it wired that way and experiment with the software to get it to do what you want.
Thanks.
I checked the links you mentioned above, they used 3.3V for the lcd board, and the 5v output directly from the Arduino, actually I tested my oled that way.
The reason I trying to use (not used yet) a resistance divider is some posts worry about the 5V from Arduino pins.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Do you have the 4-pin or 7-pin version?
The AliExpress page does not mention what the working voltage is, but the illustrations show the 5V version. Q1 on the back is the 5V to 3V regulator. The interface and power are both 5V.
This is an excellent tutorial for the 4-pin version.
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+1.3"+oled+display+tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Do you have the 4-pin or 7-pin version?
The AliExpress page does not mention what the working voltage is, but the illustrations show the 5V version. Q1 on the back is the 5V to 3V regulator. The interface and power are both 5V.
This is an excellent tutorial for the 4-pin version.
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+1.3"+oled+display+tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b
Thanks.
I have 4 pin and 7 pin. 0.96 and 1.44.
I tested them all work well in 5V.
There is a new question when I used an OLED with ESP32 CAM, the OLED shown noise only, nothing clear see. why? what should I do to improve?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I have spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to help you but you keep thoroughly confusing me. You said your display was as shown in the AliExpress page you posted. That is for the 1.3" display, Now you say you have 0.96" and 1.44" displays. They all have different interface chips and all need different software libraries. How am I supposed to help you if you keep changing your story?
I don't know which display you are using with your camera. I don't know how you have the display and camera connected to the Arduino and I have no idea what software you are using. If you really want help, get your act together and post accurate details of which display, which camera and which version of arduino you are using, how it is wired up and a listing of the software you are using. That should have all been in your answer to my questions in post #3.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
I have spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to help you but you keep thoroughly confusing me. You said your display was as shown in the AliExpress page you posted. That is for the 1.3" display, Now you say you have 0.96" and 1.44" displays. They all have different interface chips and all need different software libraries. How am I supposed to help you if you keep changing your story?
I don't know which display you are using with your camera. I don't know how you have the display and camera connected to the Arduino and I have no idea what software you are using. If you really want help, get your act together and post accurate details of which display, which camera and which version of arduino you are using, how it is wired up and a listing of the software you are using. That should have all been in your answer to my questions in post #3.
Thanks.
I guess the seller changed their products front page?
anyway, the all oled works on Arduino and even on ESP32 CAN now.

Young2

Joined Dec 7, 2020
You might want to check the instruction manual for TFT LCD, is your TFT LCD powered by 3.3V? Arduino UNO can be powered by 3.3V or 5V. My TFT LCD can use a regular 12V power supply, and after connected with Arduino UNO, use USB to power 5V to Arduino.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
You might want to check the instruction manual for TFT LCD, is your TFT LCD powered by 3.3V? Arduino UNO can be powered by 3.3V or 5V. My TFT LCD can use a regular 12V power supply, and after connected with Arduino UNO, use USB to power 5V to Arduino.
Thanks.