What screwdriver bits do you use the most in your work?

morfi717

Joined Apr 9, 2023
So I decided to let my $10 set a go and get myself a decent quality bits. The problem though is that all pre-made sets contain lots of bits which I've never seen actually being needed in electronics equipment (for example hex bits i find very rare in small appliances but I see them "taking space" in every set). Myself I use ph(0-000), flats 0.5-1.5 and tx1-10 (except for tx9) the most. By small appliances I mean parts that wont require lot of torque, let alone a ratchet screwdriver. For larger stuff I use a different screwdriver with large grip, no free spinning wheel at the bottom etc.

What are your top 12 bits you use the most in everyday work?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Mostly my set of Klein Tools screwdrivers with various sizes flat and phillips. Most used has to be the flat 3/16" Cabinet blade. I use them far more than my T-Handle bit driver or electric screwdriver with zillions of bits but always has that odd one you need.

EDIT: I like the Kleins because they have magnetic bits (which don't work on stainless steel) and Klein even makes a mag/demag tool to keep them magnetized. Bits are also very well forged and hard as all get out...

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
PZ1 and PZ2. A decade ago, every screw sold as Pozidriv would fit a PZ1 or PZ2 bit perfectly. Now they are all over the place.
I've switched to Torx whenever they are available, because they always fit, and the extra few pence a hundred is worth it to get a screwdriver that properly fits.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Depending on your available space I would strongly recommend individual handled drivers from a reputable company like Wiha or Wera. I use the Wera Kratform drivers, though I also have Wiha drivers.

Rather than buy a set, I suggest you buy the drivers you need individually (there are other listings for other types). If you don’t know just what that is, here’s my starter list for you:

P 00, 0, 1, 2 (the number 2 driver should be a long shafted version for reaching embedded fasteners)
PZ 0, 1, 2
TX 5, 6, 8, 10
Slotted 2mm, 3mm, 4mm

These drivers are not cheap but they will last if treated properly and importantly they will not damage the screws the way cheaper drivers can. Some screws seem designed to be damaged and it can’t be helped—that’s why I have an extensive collection of little screws at hand. You can accumulate them pretty quickly if you just save what you pull out of things headed for the trash. Even the cheap little thread cutting ones turn out to be like gold when you need them.

If Wera is too salty for you, you can do the same thing with a more affordable brand but remember you get what you pay for and in the end you will save money, time, and screw head with the up front investment. If you do need a cheaper option, I have had excellent luck with Tekton.

One more suggestion is this little driver from Klein that I keep in my electrical tool bag. Electricians and installers call them “tweakers” which I find odd, but that’s what they do. It is cheap(ish), well made, and very handy.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If you can find one, buy a small, good quality set, in a case, containing the bits @Ya’akov suggested above. That way you have somewhere to keep them. Then when you lose or break one, replace it. Also, you can replace the most useless ones with extra PZ1 and PZ2.
Make sure the case is easy to use. I bought a set of Stanley bits in a holder which fitted so tightly that I never put them back, and they ended up getting lost.
If you lose them before they wear out they are good quality - if they wear out before you lost them, they weren't!
I once bought a complete set of 5-pointed tamperproof torx, to dismantle a Jaguar rear light cluster, only to find that it was welded together as well as screwed

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I once bought a complete set of 5-pointed tamperproof torx, to dismantle a Jaguar rear light cluster, only to find that it was welded together as well as screwed
1681130307038.jpeg
Here’s the bit you need, @Ian0–assuming you have the air chisel to put it in…

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Fortunately you do not see a lot of slotted fasteners anymore, I mostly use Philips, Torx, and of course my favorite, the (not so common in the US) Canadian Robertson, !

morfi717

Joined Apr 9, 2023
wow thanks a lot for so much insight from ya all!!

I already have some chinese (afair its xiaomi) 100 bits set for some random, weird screws and am now looking for a set that i shall use most of the time.

@Ya’akov actually the set I was complaining about was Wera set (like 20 bits set has 5 torx "plus" bits which i think ive never seen in the wild) but I havent thought about buying individual screwdrivers. This actually sound like a good idea. Not sure why the "halfmoon" bits they sell in sets are so much more expensive (when bought individually) than the individual drivers.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Cheap jeweler's screwdrivers, Xcelite tiny flat blade with pocket clip, reversible Vaco that converts between #1 flat and Philips, Fuller #2 Philips, Vaco multibit screwdriver with the handle bored deeper to hold more bits, Mastercraft bit set with tiny 1/4" ratchet wrench for more torque or limited clearance, Wera multibit and regular drivers, set of security Torx keys (ebay but quite nice), set of generic security bits. Roadkilled Craftsman flat blade for scraping and prying. Occasionally I'll resort to a 3/8" pneumatic impact gun at the lowest setting to remove rusted screws; the trick is to use it in the "tighten" direction first to break the screw free.

Ron314

Joined Mar 14, 2023
I did a lot of office equipment repair, mostly Japanese stuff so a Phillips #2, but there is actually a Japanese p
Phillips (JIS) that fits just a little different than an American Phillips #2. You can tell the difference since putting the right screw on the head of the right screw driver will fit so snuggly that they do not fall off when held upside down. I used this 95% of the time . . . oh heck 100%. Photocopiers, scanners, printers, fax machines, computers, flux capacitors, time machines and Klingon warships all use this screw driver bit.