What 'scope to buy

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
I would like to find a new scope. Not an used one!
Would you help me to find a few options for my budget limit and with those 3 features?
mmm...You can't get new, 100MHz, 4 chan, isolated for $1500. If you drop one or two of your conditions perhaps, the best might be old TPS2014 but the cheapest I found was $1950. You may have to live with the Lecroy and grounded signals.

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
mmm...You can't get new, 100MHz, 4 chan, isolated for $1500. If you drop one or two of your conditions perhaps, the best might be old TPS2014 but the cheapest I found was $1950. You may have to live with the Lecroy and grounded signals.
2 channels is OK to me... If you can find anyone 100MHz, 2 channels and the isolated channels feature would be great!

Edited;
Lecroy models says something about isolation on channels...

WaveAce 2014 says:

Channel-Channel Isolation≥ 100:1 at 100 MHz

And from Rigol's 2000 series i can see the following:

Channel to Channel Isolation DC to maximum bandwidth: >40 dB
Is this that feature or has nothing to do with it?

Last edited:

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
2 channels is OK to me... If you can find anyone 100MHz, 2 channels and the isolated channels feature would be great!

Edited;
Lecroy models says something about isolation on channels...

WaveAce 2014 says:

And from Rigol's 2000 series i can see the following:

Is this that feature or has nothing to do with it?
I couldn't find the quote in the datasheet but that sounds like channel to channel cross-talk; if you put 100MHz on ch1 do you see it on ch2.? Best to make a phone call to the supplier now you have some idea what to ask...Peter

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
For that price I can get surely better. But I really want something more reliable!

I couldn't find the quote in the datasheet but that sounds like channel to channel cross-talk; if you put 100MHz on ch1 do you see it on ch2.? Best to make a phone call to the supplier now you have some idea what to ask...Peter
Lecroy WaveAce 2014
http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopemodel.aspx?modelid=6888&capid=102&mid=504

Click on "Specs" under the scope's picture. There you can see the Channel-to-Channel Isolation specification.

For Rigol's model see here:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-0505/1/-/-/-/-/MSO2000A_Datasheet.pdf

This is a PDF file. Open it, search for "isolation". In page 7 you'll find also "Channel-to-Channel Isolation"

kdcouture200

Joined May 22, 2010
For that price I can get surely better. But I really want something more reliable!

Lecroy WaveAce 2014
http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopemodel.aspx?modelid=6888&capid=102&mid=504

Click on "Specs" under the scope's picture. There you can see the Channel-to-Channel Isolation specification.

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-0505/1/-/-/-/-/MSO2000A_Datasheet.pdf

This is a PDF file. Open it, search for "isolation". In page 7 you'll find also "Channel-to-Channel Isolation"
For reliability go textronics or fluke you'll pay well over $1,500 but the scope will out live you, expect to pay $5,000 or more and they have isolated channels or you could drop the extra grand and buy the scope in your link. In all seriousness $244.80 is a steal for that scope assuming there isn't anything wrong with it. That's my shpeil, good luck to you in your scope hunt.

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
@kdcouture200
I don't know what you are thinking. 100Mz, leCroy or b&K and exactly $1500 were obviously the requirements and all cheaper scopes are inferior to the nebulous specifications he is asking the AAC community to create for him/her. ;)
Can you not be sarcastic and be more like a grown up person?
Further, I never told that the budget would be EXACTLY $1500. I told AROUND $1500 (1300€). Anda also I have not limited the choices to Lecroy and B&K Precision. I told I was looking to those options. Someone has already suggested Rigol and I didn't rejected it.

So I suggest you to read more carefully my posts and answer accordingly and not just through words into my mouth that I haven't told!

For reliability go textronics or fluke you'll pay well over $1,500 but the scope will out live you, expect to pay $5,000 or more and they have isolated channels or you could drop the extra grand and buy the scope in your link. In all seriousness $244.80 is a steal for that scope assuming there isn't anything wrong with it. That's my shpeil, good luck to you in your scope hunt.
I need to combine reliability, price and features. So I can't just attend to one of the requirements, like reliability and go for Tektronix. I need to combine the other requirements, if possible!

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015

Lecroy WaveAce 2014

yes, they appear to be channel to channel cross talk specifications in terms of frequency.

The independent channels of the Tek scope are defined as...

Float voltage 600 V RMS CAT II from BNC shell to earth ground

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Well, looks like that feature of isolated channels/floating channels/differential channels is rare to find and also quite expensive which I cannot afford!

Anyway, I'm also looking to Rigol DS2102A-S... What you guys say? 2 channels, 100MHz...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi everyone...

I'm going to need a 'scope soon and I need to decide myself for a good purchase (good quality/price ratio).

I have 4 'scopes in mind. 2 are 4 channel and the other 2 are the same models but 2 channels.

Teledyne Lecroy WaveAce 2014 (100Mhz, 4ch)
Link

Teledyne Lecroy WaveAce 2012 (100Mhz, 2ch)
Link

B&K Precision 2542B (100Mhz, 2ch)
Link

B&K Precision 2554 (100Mhz, 4ch)
Link

Can anyone give a help... Pros and cons????
The mad rush to buy LCD scopes is pushing some very nice CRT scopes onto the surplus market at pretty attractive prices - if you've got room for a CRO.

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
Well, looks like that feature of isolated channels/floating channels/differential channels is rare to find and also quite expensive which I cannot afford!

Anyway, I'm also looking to Rigol DS2102A-S... What you guys say? 2 channels, 100MHz...
I got a reply from Rigol they say...

Unfortunately, none of our scopes feature isolated inputs at this time.
We recommend using differential probes, like the Rigol RP1000D series of probes for applications requiring isolation.
You can read more about the RP1000D series on the accessories page here:
http://www.rigol.eu/products/accessories/

These are high voltage probes; I've used something similar and they are great for high voltage circuits but not great fro resolution down at 5\v or 3.3V signals.

Peter

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I got a reply from Rigol they say...

Unfortunately, none of our scopes feature isolated inputs at this time.
We recommend using differential probes, like the Rigol RP1000D series of probes for applications requiring isolation.
You can read more about the RP1000D series on the accessories page here:
http://www.rigol.eu/products/accessories/

These are high voltage probes; I've used something similar and they are great for high voltage circuits but not great fro resolution down at 5\v or 3.3V signals.

Peter
IIRC: Elektor magazine in the not too distant past, published a constructional project for an isolated differential probe.