What powers contactless cards?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The rf circuitry in the card....absorbs the POS antenna field.........rectifies it......charges a cap.....then sends signal back to POS antenna with information.

Read and study RFID.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
That would depend on many, many things. From orientation....to hardware and software.

If it did.....it probably wouldn't last long.

There is new tech coming for powering all this kind of stuff. It's because of the low current/power requirements for the new chip circuitry. In almost any environment now(even in a pocket)....energy will be harvested for wireless connectivity.

Edit: and at distances much farther than now.

chris155au

Joined Aug 22, 2018
That would depend on many, many things. From orientation....to hardware and software.

If it did.....it probably wouldn't last long.

There is new tech coming for powering all this kind of stuff. It's because of the low current/power requirements for the new chip circuitry. In almost any environment now(even in a pocket)....energy will be harvested for wireless connectivity.
Today, I made my first ever contactless payment with my first contactless card! I held the card about an inch away from the terminal and the shop clerk told me that it is better if I touch the terminal with the card. (so much for CONTACTLESS) And knowing that certain pieces of human garbage around the world spend their sad and meaningless existence going around with a receiver, collecting people's card data, and given that this can be done from quite a distance, it surprised me that I had to get closer to the terminal than an inch away. Although I'm sure that you would say that they are using significantly higher powered receivers than a point of sale terminal. Although, given that most people will keep their cards in a wallet or purse, it does seem quite impossible.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Oh....it was security that you were thinking about. That is a whole different science and subject.

There are modulation techniques that can make monitoring a transaction almost impossible.

And of course there is encryption.

With the size, function, memory, and power.....and being able to stamp this stuff out cheaply....It is being used for a lot of product tracking now. It just doesn't track...it can log the environment.(even acceleration) A complete time line history since manufacture. 100% quality control.

And with "block-chain" security is assured....we think. A secure and complete history of the shirt and underwear that you are wearing.

chris155au

Joined Aug 22, 2018
With the size, function, memory, and power.....and being able to stamp this stuff out cheaply....It is being used for a lot of product tracking now. It just doesn't track...it can log the environment.(even acceleration) A complete time line history since manufacture. 100% quality control.
Sorry, what is the "it" in all of that?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
RFID

EDIT: RFID plus energy harvest will give us un-powered(sorta passive) wireless connectivity.

The new tech will deliver secure and continuous connectivity for almost anything....or perhaps all things.

Finally.....copyright/patent enforcement.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
No. It depends on many, many things. Right now...most in use tech was not designed with security as a high priority. That is changing. It will take a while. When touch tone networks first started.....they had hackers and security problems. It takes time and a changing of design priorities.

But everything is ripe for a revolution. Mass cheap production....low power requirements.....high function.....with security a priority. Cheap reliable tracking of all products. Not just a marketeers dream......but a bureaucrat's dream as well.