Votes: 4 10.3%
  • BSD

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • others

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Right, I need to ask. Why does everyone hate WIN8 so much? It is, at the end of the day, WIN7 with a full screen start menu.

WIN8.1 even brings back the start button for the whinges...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It really, REALLY isn't. At least for me, Win8 is much more restrictive in its user permissions, plus it goes one more step further from supporting older software. Moreover, there's still one more iteration of Windows to separate you from working drivers of old hardware.

I'm sure other people will have different headaches.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I'll admit to being pretty computer naiive, but I've found win 8 to be much easier to download and install older software - the only program I've had trouble with is MPLAB(& X), but that was down to Office 2013. Other IDE's/compilers worked fine, eg codewarrior, codecomposer, etc.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Reasons I hate Windows 8:
Crashes regularly, often plugging a USB device in will crash it, but it just does it randomly anyway.
Alt Tab doesn't always work.
Alt F4 doesn't always work.
Sometimes Caps Lock light is on but keyboard is in lower case (very annoying with passwords)
The full screen apps, eg photo viewer, PDF viewer, video viewer are rubbish and keep making themselves the default.
The shutdown button is hidden in the settings menu which would be OK if Alt F4 worked.
All control panel items need more clicks to get to.
Need new drivers for everything and if they don't exist you just have to throw it away.
There is plenty more, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
The full screen apps, eg photo viewer, PDF viewer, video viewer are rubbish and keep making themselves the default.
I will agree with this.

I think the problem Microsoft has is that we have become too tuned into the way older versions work. Sure, it may be intuitively easier to use win 8, but that isn't much help if you have spent 20 years getting used to the way win95 worked.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Good points about software compatibility. Thing here is that Microsoft is actually doing the right thing. Most of the time when software does not work on WIN7\8 it is because it is written badly. Badly written software will lockup\crash the OS then users complain that "windows is crap".
In saying that, I have never had WIN7 or 8 cash on me, unless I was doing something I know I should not be doing (running in test mode to test drivers is a great was to see a blue screen).

Full screen apps are silly on a PC, but again it is because Microsoft are doing something right. Since about a month ago Microsoft finely relaced the public Metro framework. This means that apps written for a PC will work on a tablet, phone, XBOX, in your car and anywhere else that runs Metro framework. I think this is a great step forward. No longer will developers need to learn 3 different languages and manage 3 different code bases to run there apps on 3 different devices.

Georacer - I think you may have the "user account controls" turned up too high. If you are a admin, there should be nothing you can't do.

PS - I don't work for Microsoft, just trying to work out why everyone is so anti-WIN8...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi Loosie,

loosewire.com.uk is not a valid URL. Perhaps you mean loosewire.co.uk? If so, it appears as a high-risk website on my browser, but that could just be Sophos being a pain.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Sophos is really picky about security certificates and all that. If the page doesn't have a security certificate then it might block it.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I have never had WIN7 or 8 cash on me, unless I was doing
Does that mean it pays you $$$$$$$$$$?

:D

I wish.

Georacer - I think you may have the "user account controls" turned up too high. If you are a admin, there should be nothing you can't do.
There are many tasks you cannot perform as an admin, without using elevated status.

The simplest is turning hibernation off - a highly recommended setting to make.

Good points about software compatibility. Thing here is that Microsoft is actually doing the right thing. Most of the time when software does not work on WIN7\8 it is because it is written badly. Badly written software will lockup\crash the OS then users complain that "windows is crap".
In saying that, I have never had WIN7 or 8 cash on me, unless I was doing something I know I should not be doing (running in test mode to test drivers is a great was to see a blue screen).
Maybe you were lucky not to have suffered the Nvidia update lockout, or perhaps the black screen of death, to whcih there is still no known solution other than full reinstallation of Windows.
I assure you there are plenty of reasons that Windows can suffer uneccessary crashes.

Having said that Windows has brought many benefits to many people.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I was used to having the UAC turned all the way down on Win7. I believe I have done the same in Win8 BUT:
This isn't low enough to allow software I run to inherit my permissions. Very often I have asked from a software to copy or edit something in my Program Files (or similar) directory, only for it to fail. The reason is that I hadn't run it as an administrator explicitly, and it didn't have the clearance to operate on that restricted directory.
I know this is like sudo-ing constantly in Linux, but security in the sense of malicious code which I have installed isn't a first priority in my system; easy while prototyping is. I trust my anti-virus and experience to protect my PC from the internet. I don't want it to protect my PC from myself.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I don't want it to protect my PC from myself.
It is not commonly realised, but M$ does.

:D

Vista introduced a new level of user and user rights, above administrator and allocated it to the system.

That is why you have to perform the 'takeownership tango', followed by the 'permissions polka' to delve inside the system.

Unfortunately, M% also awarded nearly unfettered rights to the adware industry over the administrator.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
M$ are dead and gone. An important but unpleasant part of tech history.

In the same way that Hitler taught the world how not to behave, M$ taught future tech companies how not to behave. And both had some success with their oppressive evil tactics... For a short while.