What online circuit designer would you recommend?

bulrush

Joined Jan 1, 2017
I'm not looking to install software on my PC, I want to edit simple circuits from any PC using a browser. I'm a beginner and would like to share my circuits with other people if I have a question. So what online circuit designer would you recommend for me?

P.s. It must be free. I would also like it to simulate circuits too, to help me learn. I'm focusing on joule thieves and voltage regulators right now.

Thank you!

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well, this doesn't meet your criteria but consider LTspice. Not only do you get a schematic, but it will actually simulate the circuit and give you useful design information from that. It's widely used, so it make an excellent way to share with others.

I can't speak for others, but I'd probably ignore a link to circuit schematic somewhere else online.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would be surprised to find online design software that is easy to use.

Why does it need to be online?

Have a look at Diptrace. In my opinion very easy to use but not online.

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
Don't know about online software, but express PCB has a free schematic program called Express SCH. It is a dead simple, no frills program for quick circuit schematics. My only gripe is exporting to an image is cumbersome, but my version has to be ancient by now, perhaps that has improved.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Don't know about online software, but express PCB has a free schematic program called Express SCH. It is a dead simple, no frills program for quick circuit schematics. My only gripe is exporting to an image is cumbersome, but my version has to be ancient by now, perhaps that has improved.
And you are locked into using Express to create boards with the exception of printing for transparency or toner transfer. Forget about exporting gerber or drill files.
I went down the road of Express when I first started and I am sorry I did.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
For a screen shot just use the built in Windows "Snipping Tool". Hit the windows key and type "snip", it will be top on the list. Select part of your screen and presto you have a screen shot. Then ctl-v right into the typing box here to paste it. For example:

upload_2017-1-12_17-26-24.png

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Because if I have a question about a circuit I want to be able to share with others online, in a forum, for example.

You can print to a pdf or take a screen shot (snipping tool). Most people are not going to another website to view your schematic, so your online idea won't do you much good..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
For a screen shot just use the built in Windows "Snipping Tool". Hit the windows key and type "snip", it will be top on the list. Select part of your screen and presto you have a screen shot. Then ctl-v right into the typing box here to paste it. For example:

View attachment 118566

Please use snipping tool and not a simple screen shot. There is a lot of wasted space with menus and such. Unless of course you want to edit the image to cut out the irrelevant part of the image.

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
And you are locked into using Express to create boards with the exception of printing for transparency or toner transfer. Forget about exporting gerber or drill files.
I went down the road of Express when I first started and I am sorry I did.
Yes, the production affair with their layout software has its pitfalls. However, I use the SCH program solely for schematics writing schematics. No string attached.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Because if I have a question about a circuit I want to be able to share with others online, in a forum, for example.
That's way too much trouble.

I do use IrFanView picture editing program because it has plugin that makes picture file size smaller. And I try to make pictures that I post on the internetz under 300 kB.

bulrush

Joined Jan 1, 2017
1. Thanks for the mention of Snipping Tool. I just tried it. It appears to come with Windows 7 (my edition at least).

2. I just want to be able to draw the circuit, simulation is not necessary. I can draw it, make it look neat, then make a Snip of it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Simulate it. I'm a beginner with electronics and I don't have a scope, though I do have a multimeter.\

EDIT: I'm collecting free online designers and simulators here. http://pastebin.com/46AZB6xV. You don't need a Pastebin account to view this, and it's all linkified with Markdown.

Most people will be reluctant to click on an unknown link from an unknown user. Post a png file of your schematic or it will be very unlikely anyone is going to help you.