What meats would you purchase?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So many of us eat certain animals and others are repulsed. Then those same repulsed people eat stuff that repusles the guy before. For instance people eat dog in asia all the time. Here in the West thats as Taboo as you can get!!! 2nd japaneese love their whale, most of the west I think would eat whale if it were abundent and not threatened. Heres some meats that are eaten around the world.
Rat
Snake
Dog
Cat
Horse (BTW its now legal to slaughter and sell horse meat in the US)

Ok now recently Puerto Rico decided to rid themselves of iguanas and is going to sell the meat. Louisianna tried this with Nutria back in the 90's but it failed. Much like the nutria python are taking over the glades. In Asia python meat goes for up too $80 a lb. Its supposed to be the filet minon of reptiles. My questions are.

Would you eat python or rattlesnake?
Have you eaten python or rattlesnake?
Would you try it?
Do you have any adverse feelings to the harvest of pythons in the glades for meat?

I ask all this because new data is coming out from the long term studies and the pythons ware wiping out 100% of all rabits, 97% mice, rats, etc.., 94% birds, and 87% bobcats. This means when pythons move in, these populations drop that much to the point there are no rabbits anymore and almost nothing else.
Any thoughts or feelings would be appreciative. There starting to issue licenses here to hunt them and wouldn't mind getting in on the ground floor of something like this.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
And soon we will have the supersnake to deal with once the African Rock Python hybrid with the Burmese Python. Just look at a Liger. At first they though it could never happen, then it happened in a zoo.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I'm going to google permits now or have you already done it. You are good at that

check out the permits or lottery,you need at least two people they could get your

head in there mouth,and that what they go for the head of there prey.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm told I've tried frog legs, they tasted like chicken.

I've eaten rabbit. It tasted like chicken.

I've eaten venison. It was pretty gamey, but I ate it all. Closer to beef I think.

The three staples are steak, chicken and pork, in that order, with fish and shell fish on the side. I could live on those forever, especially steak. I like T-Bone, thick, medium rare, with mushrooms please.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Before my illness I used to eat most things, but I think that scavengers such as wild rats would be a distinctly bad idea - you never know where they have been or what they have eaten. Similarly, because of their position at the top of the food chain, carnivores tend to accumulate more nasties like heavy metals than there herbivore bretheren. Fish, shellfish and eels also can suffer from this objection, but in my state of health accumulating a dangerous dose of nasty metals seems a most remote possibility.

Apart from that, I've had frogs' legs and snails, probably not worth the money in my opinion but the only way to be sure is to try. I've also had sausages containing horse, but admittedly the latter was a mistake due to my not reading labels properly.

As for offal, tripe is only acceptable in my opinion after unreasonably tedious preparation. Liver and kidneys are another matter. Like many Brits I enjoy a steak-and kidney pie! (And yes, I do know what kidneys do in life! )

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
I have eaten snake, specifically rattlesnake back when I was a teenager and it was more commonly found in Missouri. It tasted like chicken and flaked like fish. We had a dinner for biology class and one of the kids that lived back in the sticks brought in the snake. We also sampled raccoon (dry and stringy), possum (very greasy), carp eggs (definitely not escargot in the traditional sense!), grasshoppers & crickets (fried--very nasty) to name a few of the other "delicacies". I'm sure this would not be legal to do in American schools today!!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think I'll pass on snake.

I was very young when I had frogs legs.

Reptile and amphibians are not on my menu, unless I'm starving of course.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 've already eaten beef, lamb, pork, chicken, rabbit, bird hunt, wild boar, deer (maybe), fish (including a bad excuse of a sushi), snails and all kind of sea food.

Snails are a traditional dish in Greece. Usually prepared in villages, where snails can be picked up in the fields. I don't know anyone who bought snails to cook them.

Lamb intestines make for many dishes here. Most notably wound around liver bits and grilled, or stuffed with liver and boiled into a soup. Liver isn't one of my favourite parts, though. I don't like the bitterness.

I would try most food, if hyped enough. I think I have eaten cat and dog already, unknowingly in some souvlaki store. In my 23 years there must have been at least one that replaced pork with another meat.

I think I would be more resistant against insects and maggots. Especially if they were alive.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I have eaten snake, specifically rattlesnake back when I was a teenager and it was more commonly found in Missouri. It tasted like chicken and flaked like fish. We had a dinner for biology class and one of the kids that lived back in the sticks brought in the snake. We also sampled raccoon (dry and stringy), possum (very greasy), carp eggs (definitely not escargot in the traditional sense!), grasshoppers & crickets (fried--very nasty) to name a few of the other "delicacies". I'm sure this would not be legal to do in American schools today!!
Funny you say that about raccoon. Down here in FL they are everywhere and considered rats. You can go outside anywhere in the state at night and shoot raccoons from your pourch. But when I worked in Memphis Raccoon was highly sought after. It was actually hard to get one. I

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
There are many variations, but the base is pork meat; on a stick, or grilled (sorta). You can eat it on a stick on wrapped in pita (dough-like).

In Athens we eat it with onion, fried potatoes, tomato and tzatziki.
In Thessaloniki, they put yoghurt instead and call it differently, a source of endless arguments amongst ourselves and Thessaloniki residents.
Elsewhere they add ketchup and mustard, totally unacceptable if you ask me.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
We have BBQ for our pork here in the US so its hard to go past that to something else. Unless its a nice smoked butt or shoulder I don't want it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Cmon maxpower, that's hardly an excuse. Try something different for a change, once in a while.
Don't be so gastronomically nationalist.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
I ate smoked rat jerky a few times, but the smoky flavor didn't agree with me, so I didn't sample any more. Many moons ago too, I got real sick after eating what I later learned was filet-of-monkey, so I wouldn't recommend that either.

Flying termites emerge in clouds at the start of the African rainy season, and people place wide bowls of water beneath outdoor lights to trap them as they swarm around the light after dusk. The termites, evidently quite high in protein, are salted and fried, wings and all. They taste like soured peanuts, but I did try them on a couple of different occasions, just to be sure I didn't get a bad batch on the first time I snacked on them.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
About 25 years ago I tried alligator at a backwater/swamp establishment (It had a sign on the door that said "check your guns before entering"--what that meant I wasn't sure...check to make sure they're loaded?? or leave them outside??) near the Everglades in Florida. It was also my first experience with food poisoning! :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Alligator meat is best cooked well done. Leprosy is common in this reptile meat, though I think it is a curable condition nowdays.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
OMG!!! Are you saying that I could have contracted leprosy from the allegator or that the allegator can get leprosy? Are you pulling my leg?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Alligator meat is best cooked well done. Leprosy is common in this reptile meat, though I think it is a curable condition nowdays.
Seminella is a much bigger fear if eating a reptile. As long as its processed correctly its really not an issue. I eat double digets of lb's of gator every year and haven't gotten it. I've never heard that about the lepracy but I will check with some scientist I know at USF.