What kind of connector is this?

Blatboy

Joined Jun 11, 2012
This is a connector for an AC cable on an old OKI 111 reel to reel tape player from the mid 60's. The player is in absolutely beautiful shape, but the power cord is missing. While I can easily jimmy something and get it working, I'd like to be able to make my own nice looking cable with the proper connector. I wouldn't know the first thing as far as what the connector type was called so I can search for it.

Anyone have a clue what this connector was called and/or if I could find one somewhere? Though I've never seen it before, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common connector...

THANKS!

IMG_1355.jpg

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
If you cannot find the cable, it might be possible to replace the connector (that will fit in the hole) with one that has a cable.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is a connector for an AC cable on an old OKI 111 reel to reel tape player from the mid 60's. The player is in absolutely beautiful shape, but the power cord is missing. While I can easily jimmy something and get it working, I'd like to be able to make my own nice looking cable with the proper connector. I wouldn't know the first thing as far as what the connector type was called so I can search for it.

Anyone have a clue what this connector was called and/or if I could find one somewhere? Though I've never seen it before, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common connector...

THANKS!

View attachment 84793
I usually find connectors in Digikey's website by doing a parametric search, and looking at the long list of pictures that are shown.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
From my years of tearing stuff apart, I'd guess that connector is/was proprietary. The 3-wire computer cord is about the only power cord I've seen that is swappable from one device to another. You could find a CPU on its way to recycling and pull that jack out of it, to replace those prongs.

Blatboy

Joined Jun 11, 2012
It's not a standard figure 8. It's square. I can sort of force a figure 8 on it, but the pins are too big for the holes on a standard figure 8. Yeah, it's probably proprietary I guess. (Note the picture is of the jack on the tape machine itself.) I was hoping it was some sort of common connector from the 60's. I'll measure the diameter of the pins with my caliper and search Digikey and Mouser.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Note that although it looks like an EU connector, it is clearly labelled 117V
Also labeled 60 Hz. If the pin spacing, center to center is .339 inch (8.6 mm) then the connector on the appliance is likely a IEC 320 C8 and the matching / mating connector could be a IEC 320 C7. I have an older Sony CD player sitting here that uses what looks to be the same connector.

Not polarized. Domestic Audio, video, radio equipment and double insulated power supplies. C8 inlet is 10 mm deep, C8A and C8B inlets are 15.5 mm deep. Commonly referred to as a "figure of 8".
There is a similar polarized connector having one squared side, (see outline below), but this is not part of the standard.
That is my best guess anyway with all things considered. :)

Ron

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The IEC connectors usually have one or both sides rounded. What he has is the AC input connector that was standard on TVs, table radios, and portable stereos in the 50's-70's. I worked on a ton of them in the 60's. The mating cord usually was held in place on the back cover with a spring clip. We used a stand-alone cable called a "cheater cord" to power a device with the rear cover removed for service. There were two types, polarized (with one pin fatter than the other) and non-polarized which is what you need. Try MCM Electronics and other TV service parts vendors.

ak