What is your/your kids favorite electronic toy?

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Mine was a Tesla for 3-days.

Nice but I wouldn't want to own one unless it was a toy. We regularly hop into the car and drive to Chicago, New Jersey or D.C. Can't do that with a Tesla.

A Tesla was purchased by my company as a market research project. After we all (30 people) had a chance to drive it, it was "examined" to understand materials of construction and fabrication method of each part in the entire car.
Gophert, Nikola must be turning in his grave! When I grew up a _Tesla_ w/o qualification was an HV inductor not a car! Now I know Tesla did innovation with electric motors too but his wireless power station (which was really just a huge TC) was his fondest dream even though it was never finished cuz he was too idealistic to be good businessman:(

So anyhow @GopherT I'm not picking on you just saying millennials know the history of our toys too:D

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
If it makes my life easier and puts a smile on my face while using it, whatever it is gets 'favorite toy' status for the day. ;)
Tcmtech I second that:D! PPL can say machines are _lowbrow_ all they like but I'd like to see them trying to live in a world w/o them!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gophert, Nikola must be turning in his grave! When I grew up a _Tesla_ w/o qualification was an HV inductor not a car! Now I know Tesla did innovation with electric motors too but his wireless power station (which was really just a huge TC) was his fondest dream even though it was never finished cuz he was too idealistic to be good businessman:(

So anyhow @GopherT I'm not picking on you just saying millennials know the history of our toys too:D
The minute you start complaining about the evolution of language, technology or music, mark that day in your calendar. That was the day you became "old".

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
As a kid my favorite toys were: fire, machete, pocket knife, bench grinder, BB gun
As an adult my favorite toys are: fire, sawzall, welder, CNC machine, AR-15, oscilloscope

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Electronic Mr. Potato Head, my favorite of course. I had actually bought one of these in my flea market browsing. Easy to play with incredibly long battery life. Follow the voice prompts to win! "Please give me my nose". And best of all no off button. The next morning after being piled into the toy box with everything else it will still be asking "Please give me my nose". Over and over and over and ... I wonder if you can find it before it drives you crazy? Good luck.

IMG_0454.JPG

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
The soldering iron that someone older helps me use it.
And a simple Casio calculator. display 8888 8888
At that time it was the newest technique.

And something like that:
game.jpg
But this cat appears on the screen:
pif.jpg
And she had to catch fishes coming either from the left or right.
You should press the corresponding left or right button if you notice that the fish appear.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
My sort of newish favorite toy this summer is a basic Ruger 10/22 that I decked out with a good scope, 25 round magazine and bipod plus did the trigger lightning mods to it over the summer. So far I am up to about 200 yards shooting gophers which seems to be about the range limit due to the consistency, or lack thereof, of the ammunition I am using.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Tcmtech I second that:D! PPL can say machines are _lowbrow_ all they like but I'd like to see them trying to live in a world w/o them!
I'm a diehard red blooded American "deplorable" so hard work and getting dirty is rather enjoyable to me. :D

Especially if it saves me or others time and money and gives me the satisfaction of having done a job well using my own skillsets and resources it will never be demeaning to me in any way. ;)
In fact I spent most of my day leveling the ground for a 3000 gallon tank so that I have space for more used oil since I have ~1500 more gallons to pick up tomorrow and later this fall yet.

As of now my "lowbrow" dirty work has me looking at topping the 6000 gallons mark by the end of tomorrow (plus more to come) which equates to having enough fuel to heat both of my houses, and workshed for free for the next 4 - 5 years! :cool:

Kind of puts my used oil collection and handling setup plus used oil fired boiler I designed and built on my seasonal favorite toys list too. :cool:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
My sort of newish favorite toy this summer is a basic Ruger 10/22 that I decked out with a good scope, 25 round magazine and bipod plus did the trigger lightning mods to it over the summer. So far I am up to about 200 yards shooting gophers which seems to be about the range limit due to the consistency, or lack thereof, of the ammunition I am using.
My Christmas list:

22095869_1821225957907546_621272090764048226_o.jpg

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Interesting chart. For all the diversity of caliber and such,
there is almost exclusive use of brass for the casings. What is it about brass that makes it such a winner for this application?
Softness, I think. It doesn't fracture under stress or weaken considerably when crimped. Also, the cases slide very easy against each other -- makes loading easier.

I've used Russian steel cased 9mm ammo...much cheaper than brass. They cannot be reloaded -- and the friction is such that it is almost impossible to stack a full 15 rounds in a magazine by hand.

BTW, expensive hollow points tend to use nickel plated brass, I think. Not sure if they can be reloaded, though.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/brass-vs-nickel-plated-brass-cases-for-ammo-reloading/

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Interesting chart. For all the diversity of caliber and such,
there is almost exclusive use of brass for the casings. What is it about brass that makes it such a winner for this application?
Corrosion resistant
malleable... .maybe the wrong word... it was stands shock loads without getting stress fractures, so it is reloadable

EDIT: posted while Joey was posting

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I know brass has all those features. I guess my awe is that there seem to be so few alternatives. You'd think there would be specialization and differentiation just as there is for the projectiles. But not so much.