What is the difference between this two?

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by Tusharrk007, Jul 17, 2017.

Can you tell the difference between this two?.

1. Any one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Engineer

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tusharrk007

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Can you tell the difference between this two?.

2. geekoftheweek

Oct 6, 2013
    Probably nothing. I looked up the datasheet and glanced at it. The different numbers are probably lot numbers, date codes, or whatever for manufacturing traceablility. I didn't see them mentioned in the datasheet. The top number is the same which is probably all that matters... Unless someone who actually knows these things has something better to say.

3. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    Probably the country its sourced from.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    One of them might be a TO-220 and the other is a TO-235 but that's about the packaging. One of them has its ears trimmed. The guts are the same.

5. Tusharrk007

Jul 16, 2017
    But first one with marking "CCOXC W" works well while second one is problematic.

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    What kind of part is it? I didn't find any part number with 1300 or 1300S or 1300SA in it on the ST site, but I might need to use an unprinted prefix or something.

Is it an IGBT, or MOSFET, or BJT?

The second might be a Chinese counterfeit.

7. Tusharrk007

Jul 16, 2017
    It is 13005A and its NPN transistor

8. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    Possibly country or factory codes.

Don't discount the possibility of counterfeit components - its less jail time than smuggling drugs.

So I'm told; buying from eBay is asking for it, but big name trusted suppliers get stung too!

A few years back, a big name got lumbered with 100s of thousands of latest new micros that turned out to be all package and no silicon.

9. Tusharrk007

Jul 16, 2017
    The dealer says its 100% original.
    He may be right or wrong i don't know.

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Of COURSE the dealer says it's 100% original!

What else would they say?

If they know they are selling counterfeit parts, then they are in on the scam and will tell you that they are genuine parts.

If they don't know they are selling counterfeit parts, then they think they are real and will tell you that they are genuine parts.

I can't image a situation in which the dealer is going to tell you that the parts they are selling you might not be genuine parts. Perhaps after the fact and after they have gotten caught (or have found out) and are issuing some kind of recall (voluntary or mandatory).

11. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    No names, no pack drill - but the supplier I was referring to only found out when a customer ground the package away and discovered the absence of any silicon.

12. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Ah. I thought the '5' was an 'S'. Thanks.

I didn't find any parts on their site with "13005A", but found three NPN transistors that had 13005 in them.

STT13005D
    STU13005N
    STX13005

None of them (at least using the table on ST's site) are available in a TO-220 case (or similar case with a drilled tang).

Looking at the DigiKey site, there is a ST13005 that IS in a TO-220 case, but it doesn't come up in the produce search on the ST site. But if I search specifically for ST13005 on their site I do get a datasheet for it. I've never been to impressed with ST's site, and this just reinforces that opinion.

Looking at THAT data sheet, it appears that the 'A' is a supplemental bin mark indicating that the DC current gain is between 15 and 32 (under the specified test conditions).

I didn't find anything about other supplemental package markings. It used to be pretty common that manufacturers would describe their full marking system, albeit perhaps not in detail (so you would know that XXX referred to some internal parameter category but not what that category was, or that YYYY indicated the production line but not how to decipher it further). Now that seems a lot rarer.

I tried searching for "Package marking" but their search returned thousands of documents (anything that had the word "package" apparently).

13. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The ST13005A exists.
    It is the ST13005 with the lower-wide HFE.

Bertus

14. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Agreed.

But if you do a Product search on ST's site for ST13005, you get "No results found for: ST13005".

If you look at their Product Catalog for 500 V to 1000 V Power BJT transistors (the datasheet shows it is a 700 V part) and sort it by part number, they go from the ST13003 to the ST13007.

Yet DigiKey claims it is an active device (active as in in-production) and there is nothing in the Rev 10 datasheet (2012) to indicate it is obsolete or not for new designs.

I can't find any place on their site where you can get information about the production status of parts.

Once again, less than enamored with ST's website and datasheets.

15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  16. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Take your search and look at the Products tab to see what products they claim to have in their catalog that contain that part number fragment. You will see that it only lists the three that I mentioned before.

As I stated, if I search for ST13005 I can get the datasheet (in the Resources tab), but it claims that there are NO products with that part number.

It would seem that if they have a certain part, that it should be listed in their catalog.

If you were wanting to select a product and went to their product selection page and listed all of their mid-voltage NPN power transistors (they claim there are 36), you would not see the ST13005 listed, and hence you would never know that it is an option for your consideration.

Why would a company NOT want potential customers to see all of the available products?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017