What is the difference between servo and motor controller?

ketanco

Joined Jul 29, 2014
What is the difference between servo and motor controller? And also motor drive and servo drive?

Please do not say one is for motor one is for servo. I want to know how they differ. I am new to electronics

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A standard motor generally just provides rotary motion, with perhaps control of its speed by a motor drive.
A servo motor can provide precise control of speed, position, and/or direction of rotation from a servo drive.
So whether you use a standard motor or a servo depends upon what you want done.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In themselves they are pretty vague terms, generally you need the application they are in to qualify them.'
There is the RC servo which has a motor with a pot for positioning, a very simple application.
Servo controller generally implies that (precise) positioning is involved, in some cases PID feedback is required, as in CNC machines for e.g.
Steppers are servo's that require no closing of the control loop.
Motor controller can be the same or very similar drive but it is only intended for velocity control rather than positioning.
IOW open loop control.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another example of a drives which are flexible and can cover many bases are the drives made by the likes of A-M-C or Copley Controls, they can be set by DIP switch for configuration for open loop or closed loop applications, velocity control or torque (current) mode, the latter turns the controller into a simple transconductance amplifier.
When used with a central controller where the motor feedback, encoder etc is directed back to the controller itself, there is no need to close the loop back to the servo drive, as in this case the loop is external to the drive.
There are many variations on the same theme!
Max..

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
I hope this helps you out
a servo controller is typically an external device that you can use to send a signal to a motor to do what you want it to do. (think of pots and switches mounted to a board) the resistance of the pots would determine how far the motor turns and at what speed. the servo controller converts signal of PWM or PPM (most often PPM) to something that the motor likes voltage and current.

A servo usually has the servo controller inside the servo body, (referring to rc servos here) it converts the ppm/ pwm signal from a receiver to a power input that then moves your motor.

A servo motor (usually does not have the servo controller connected to it as one unit)

Another important distinction is that a servo motor is not usually geared out of the box, however a servo normally is a complete package.

That is the difference between servo and motor controller? And also motor drive and servo drive?

Please do not say one is for motor one is for servo. I want to know how they differ. I am new to electronics