What is the difference between charging your mobile from normal plug and 5amps plug

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi, Is there a performance difference while charging your mobile phone in normal and a somewhat big plug, i presume, 5 amps plug.
I am having samsung charger, which i usually charge with both plug points.
So far i did not face any problem.
But , is there a performance difference between the two on charging the mobile.
newbie to this field
The charger is also a big one from the small charger came with the phone pack

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Too many variables, too little information. What capacity charger did the Samsung (phone? tablet?) come with? Normal USB cables aren't rated for 5A.

Some devices will charge faster using a higher capacity charger. Some won't.

Some chargers aren't as good as their specs would indicate.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi, I have enclosed two jpeg images. But i could not find where it has gone. Where i could i find the attachement i enclosed in a thread.
When i click my attachments, they are shown

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hi, I have enclosed two jpeg images. But i could not find where it has gone. Where i could i find the attachement i enclosed in a thread.
When i click my attachments, they are shown
This happens to me when the site and/or my internet connection are being slow. If I click the post button before the images have actually been uploaded (though I can see them in the text entry box), they don't get uploaded.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
A 5A charger can not be used for a normal phone. You can get a maximum of 2A, on most its 1A. Yours is designed for something else. The idea is that you will brake the battery or the phone itself.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The phone decides how much current it will draw for charging. If that value is 2A, then even a 5A-capable charger will only provide 2A.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My phone, a Samsung Galaxy S7 controls its rate of charge. The only difference in what I use to charge it with will determine the rate of charge the phone chooses. When the supply is capable of a higher current the phone will fast charge and when the supply is only capable of about 200 mA or less the phone reverts to a slow charge. As long as the supply is 5 Volts the phone will charge it's just a matter of fast or slow charge. Matters not how much current the supply side can output the phone will control its rate of charge.

Ron

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Last edited:

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
None of the plugs in the pictures actually mention 5A anywhere.

I have a moto z here, and it comes with a 3A charger. When both the phone and the charger can negotiate high-current charging.

Some information is provided here. It seems like motorola just uses a technology called "quick charge" from qualcomm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge

So, if the phone has some of the mentioned snapdragon chips, it could support quick charge. I suppose that the chargers would limit themselves to safe USB power levels if negotiantion fails, but check the manuals.