What is the best transistor for low off leakage current?

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
I have been looking at a lot of different transistors. N Channel MOSFET and NPN/PNP. I am looking for one that has very low off leakage current. Less than 1uA. I seem to be having problems finding a appropriate part number. Other requirements are not critical. 9V max voltage. 100 micro-amps minimum current when fully on. Need to turn it on or off using 0V (OFF) 3.3V (ON). It is simply a discreet circuit, speed is not a factor.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just your luck. the one you seek is probably obsolete and no longer manufactured. What would the test setup to verify the behavior you seek look like?
Something like this I suspect.
I think the Zetex ZTX1048A would have worked for you if it was still available. Sadly I think it has gone to its reward.
Edit: Maybe not. It seems Diodes Inc. may have some available
ZTX1048A - Diodes Inc. - Bipolar (BJT) Single Transistor, NPN, 17.5 V (newark.com)

1626405770850.png

Last edited:

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Just your luck. the one you seek is probably obsolete and no longer manufactured. What would the test setup to verify the behavior you seek look like?
I think the Zetex ZTX1048A would have worked for you if it was still available. Sadly I think it has gone to its reward.
ZTX1048A - Diodes Inc. - Bipolar (BJT) Single Transistor, NPN, 17.5 V (newark.com)

View attachment 243685
I never thought the 2N2222 would have such low leakage. Yea, the obsolete part is superior. Thanks!

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021

View attachment 243685
Thanks, you got me in the right direction! Similar part ZTX1049 advertises less than 10nA:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/diodes-incorporated/ZTX1049A/243283

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks, you got me in the right direction! Similar part ZTX1049 advertises less than 10nA:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/diodes-incorporated/ZTX1049A/243283
That is worst case with Vce @50V. The typical is more like 0.3 nA which should be more to your liking. Anyway, from the simulation you now have a way of testing the parts you decide on.

You may not have noticed in the simulation the maximum Vce for the ZTX1048A is 17.5V compare to the maximum 40V for the other parts.