What Is Scales – Load Cells – Indicators – Amplifiers?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
.And How It's Works?
Google is your friend. Spend some time searching for information about what you are trying to learn and then come here asking questions that have a lot more context and are a lot more specific.

If this is a school assignment of some kind, we are not your research team.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
I assume that we talking T&M.
Scale is the min/max value of a dimension like -100 to +100 degree.
Your probe is not supplying -100 to +100 in the full scale but for example -1 to +1 VOLT
Now you need an amplifier.
But your probe reading could be 0.34 to 1 over its full scale. 0.34=-100 and 1V=+100 Degree
How to handle?
Simple solution: use percent to define -100 to +100 to 100% scale and declare 0.34 to 1 as 100% measured.
now you have a ratio / relation between the two. (.34 should produce -100 and 1 should produce +100 Degree. (or an other dimension ton/flow/mass)
I left the calculation to you.
Good luck

Picbuster

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
.And How It's Works?
Scales can be a lot of things. Often they're a list of some figures. @Picbuster has done a pretty good job of explaining what that can be.

.And How It's Works?
Load cells are sensors that measure some kind of force. Often a load cell works in compression, but not always. Some may be strain gauges that measure a pull force or a bending force.

.And How It's Works?
Indicators just turn electronic information into some sort of readable scale. Could be numbers, could be the deflection of a meter. Your gasoline gauge in your car is an indicator - it indicates how much fuel is in the tank. It doesn't say how many gallons, it just indicates whether you have a full tank or somewhere in-between full and empty.

.And How It's Works?
Amplifiers: They turn information such as that from a load cell into a readable voltage which can drive an analog indicator (analog meaning something like your gas gauge). They can also be used in digital form detecting minute changes in voltages from the sensors (load cells for example) and convert them into an electronic value, that value is amplified and then sent to an AD converter (Analog to Digital). That digital signal is then processed and provides some sort of information such as numbers. Numbers on a volt meter, the heading and direction on an electronic compass; your weight, your body temperature, the distance from one spot to another, on and on.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
OK, went and looked at the user's information. The claim is that of an engineer. How could an engineer not know these things. As for being more helpful - I hope that's not true of me. Sure, I like pretty girls, but I either answer questions I know an answer to OR maybe point out issues I see with problems or solutions others have brought to light. If I don't know something I may follow a thread just for the sake of learning something new, and I've learned a few things here.

Tell you what (or who) I still wonder about - a few years ago some guy was asking how to power a 12 volt generator from a 12 volt battery to produce 12 volts. Many of us (not necessarily those who've responded to this thread) tried to help the guy. After a while I began to suspect he was trying to build an over-unity machine. When I pointed it out he got angry and said he was going to solve the problem and the rest of us would feel foolish. Anybody here feel foolish? I sure don't. Haven't heard from him ever since. Of course, maybe he came back with a different avatar, how could we know for sure?!

Two things I've learned in life: There are those who genuinely need answers and those who genuinely need validation. As for the later, they often ask questions not for the purpose of learning something but for the sake of feeling like they're making the world happy to help. I truly have no toleration for them.

elina3700

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You need to be mores specific. I have no idea what you’re asking.
Google is your friend. Spend some time searching for information about what you are trying to learn and then come here asking questions that have a lot more context and are a lot more specific.

If this is a school assignment of some kind, we are not your research team.
I assume that we talking T&M.
Scale is the min/max value of a dimension like -100 to +100 degree.
Your probe is not supplying -100 to +100 in the full scale but for example -1 to +1 VOLT
Now you need an amplifier.
But your probe reading could be 0.34 to 1 over its full scale. 0.34=-100 and 1V=+100 Degree
How to handle?
Simple solution: use percent to define -100 to +100 to 100% scale and declare 0.34 to 1 as 100% measured.
now you have a ratio / relation between the two. (.34 should produce -100 and 1 should produce +100 Degree. (or an other dimension ton/flow/mass)
I left the calculation to you.
Good luck

Picbuster
Scales can be a lot of things. Often they're a list of some figures. @Picbuster has done a pretty good job of explaining what that can be.

Load cells are sensors that measure some kind of force. Often a load cell works in compression, but not always. Some may be strain gauges that measure a pull force or a bending force.

Indicators just turn electronic information into some sort of readable scale. Could be numbers, could be the deflection of a meter. Your gasoline gauge in your car is an indicator - it indicates how much fuel is in the tank. It doesn't say how many gallons, it just indicates whether you have a full tank or somewhere in-between full and empty.

Amplifiers: They turn information such as that from a load cell into a readable voltage which can drive an analog indicator (analog meaning something like your gas gauge). They can also be used in digital form detecting minute changes in voltages from the sensors (load cells for example) and convert them into an electronic value, that value is amplified and then sent to an AD converter (Analog to Digital). That digital signal is then processed and provides some sort of information such as numbers. Numbers on a volt meter, the heading and direction on an electronic compass; your weight, your body temperature, the distance from one spot to another, on and on.
Looks like RK(Rittesh Kitar((SP)) got a new avatar.
Can't rule that out. I am not sure at this point. :)

Ron
He's about do to show up again. :) What seems funny to me is, when someone has a pretty girl in their avatar the guys here seem so much more helpful.
OK, went and looked at the user's information. The claim is that of an engineer. How could an engineer not know these things. As for being more helpful - I hope that's not true of me. Sure, I like pretty girls, but I either answer questions I know an answer to OR maybe point out issues I see with problems or solutions others have brought to light. If I don't know something I may follow a thread just for the sake of learning something new, and I've learned a few things here.

Tell you what (or who) I still wonder about - a few years ago some guy was asking how to power a 12 volt generator from a 12 volt battery to produce 12 volts. Many of us (not necessarily those who've responded to this thread) tried to help the guy. After a while I began to suspect he was trying to build an over-unity machine. When I pointed it out he got angry and said he was going to solve the problem and the rest of us would feel foolish. Anybody here feel foolish? I sure don't. Haven't heard from him ever since. Of course, maybe he came back with a different avatar, how could we know for sure?!

Two things I've learned in life: There are those who genuinely need answers and those who genuinely need validation. As for the later, they often ask questions not for the purpose of learning something but for the sake of feeling like they're making the world happy to help. I truly have no toleration for them.
You can read about it here: https://tacunasystems.com/zc/the-essential-guide-to-load-cells
Thanks all for your valuable comments.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, went and looked at the user's information.
Tony, let me get back to you on that. Next week I think I'll be a highly respected heart surgeon or maybe oncologist. :) Actually the OBGYN who delivered my daughter was an EE who after deciding he didn't care for EE went back and earned his doctorate for MD and went into OBGYN. He was a darn good OBGYN too! :)

I really don't place much stock in avatars but yeah, you are correct in that a pretty face seems to command politeness.

Ron