What is difference between wifi and wireless

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
What is difference between wifi and wireless Do both mean different or same? It looks like both are the same. What do you think ?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Wirless is the general name for all radio transmissions, including radio stations,mobile phones et all.

WiFi is a protocol and se tof specificatoins saying what parts of the spectrum to use, and how to encode data on that system to make it compatible,

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
WiFi is a protocol and se tof specificatoins saying what parts of the spectrum to use, and how to encode data on that system to make it compatible,
there are so many documents, Will you recommend any good documents to understand the WIFI protocol ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Wireless just means transmission of electrical power across (near or far field) space without physical conductors from point A to point B. Your utility power is wireless at some (usually several) point(s) in the power generation to load transmission line.

This is a wireless transmission device (magnetic field energy transfer).

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Ironic how a transformer can be called a wireless transmission device, considering how much wire is needed to do the job.:)
Most antennas (in the broadest sense of the word, near and far field) require wire to generate the required EM field for energy transfer. It's a function of frequency and the needed transformation media.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm not disagreeing, but don't you see the irony?
No. The only irony I see is the Wireless Power hype about it being something special when the truth is exactly opposite. Electrical energy transfer is always wireless in the sense conductors provide a high efficiency guide for the electrical energy that exists in the space surrounding the wires.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Just I was resorting to the common understood reference.
Max..
Sure but there's no galvanic connection between your house electrical socket power wires and the utility generator in the vast majority of cases where Wire Coils (Inductive coupling) are used to transform and couple energy.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/introduction-to-wireless-power-transfer-wpt/

Technology Energy Transfer Enabling the Power Transfer
Inductive coupling Magnetic fields Coils of wire

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I missed out on paying attention to the 2000's tech, IDK what Fi part meant

At least they didn't call it mustard and strawberry jamFi or something, and then get jammed like in SpaceBalls too I guess. LOL I'm just making fun of the names of some stuff, that seems do come from the computer guys.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I missed out on paying attention to the 2000's tech, IDK what Fi part meant

At least they didn't call it mustard and strawberry jamFi or something, and then get jammed like in SpaceBalls too I guess. LOL I'm just making fun of the names of some stuff, that seems do come from the computer guys.
Like WiTricity?
http://www.mit.edu/~soljacic/wireless_power.html
91845479.png
A "bad transformer" made a little better with resonant elements, only effective over short distances.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sure, one important aspect of far-field wireless technology, communication. Another would be Radar, wireless sensor technology.

Last edited: