What is a Roku television ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Is it a television that can be connected to one of those Roku decoders to view streamed TV programs/channels,
or is a television that has the Roku decoder built-in ?
I undestand? that web sites, TV channels that stream via internet can be entered on a browser and watched that way. For both cases, an ethernet connection if not WiFi is the input to the TV. ¿?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Any TV with an HDMI port can connect to a Roku. The Roku can connect to the internet via WiFi. Don’t know if there are any that take a wired connection.

Bob

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
A smart tv is a big disappointment. At least for me.

If a person could install a real browser.......it would be great.

Plus....to use a smart tv....you must log into an account. Everything will be recorded and sold to hundreds of companies....thousands probably. And you agree to this, by making an account, so that you can use the service.

The browser is a window of tiles. Or apps. Like YouTube. And of course to stream to your smart tv....guess what.....you get to log into youtube.

Fun. Of course the smart tv will do all this for you the next time. So every time you watch tv.....there are hundreds watching you, watching tv.

See how it works? You are not a viewer any longer. You're the viewie.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
How is that any different than my Sony BluRay box that connects to my wifi and lets me stream from any net provider?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I just bought one for my office. It was cheap: $319 at Costco for 55" (UHD 4K).

It's a regular TV with Roku built in (and WiFi).

The down side: you have to sign up for a Roku account in order to use the TV -- even if you're just using OTA or other input sources. And you need to give them a credit card # to sign up.

Did I mention it was cheap?

Last edited:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Once I asked for the remote of a Samsung TV in a store demonstration area, entered a web site on its browser and watched a foreign programming (NHK) which I see a lot at home via 'FTA' with a 7' dish. I wanted to know if I could do it with its 'Smart Hub' feature. It did work. Now cannot find the exact TV model that did it then, in order to buy one. Retried at the same store yesterday and was kicked out by a salesperson and not allowed to test/do it again.

Plus....to use a smart tv....you must log into an account.
I believe that is imprecise. If there is a browser on the smart TV, you enter the www site of the 'channel' and is free to watch. If you are after movies, perhaps yes, logging-in is requiered.

Can anyone try on your smart tv ? Example : ----> https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/
Or any broadcaster at----> wwitv.com/portal.htm
Please let me know if you could enter that website on your 'smart' TV browser, and its brand/model.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Externet, Apparently after reading joey's post, the software permissions vary from model and year.

And seem to get even more restrictive. I have not tried my tv connection in years.

So my comments about my smart tv...would not apply to you.

Sorry bout that.