What is a file?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z
Garland thought it would be an easy fix. She asked each student where they’d saved their project. Could they be on the desktop? Perhaps in the shared drive? But over and over, she was met with confusion. “What are you talking about?” multiple students inquired. Not only did they not know where their files were saved — they didn’t understand the question.

Gradually, Garland came to the same realization that many of her fellow educators have reached in the past four years: the concept of file folders and directories, essential to previous generations’ understanding of computers, is gibberish to many modern students.
A cynic could blame generational incompetence. An international 2018 study that measured eighth-graders’ “capacities to use information and computer technologies productively” proclaimed that just 2 percent of Gen Z had achieved the highest “digital native” tier of computer literacy. “Our students are in deep trouble,” one educator wrote.
Bingo! And get off my lawn.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are many such examples, sometimes hilarious.
Some folks do not understand what you mean by clockwise and counter-clockwise, for example.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Kids today have very little experience with indexing. Completely foreign concept as they rarely encounter it. No more Dewey-decimal cards in libraries, most of what they see is online so no searching an index to find a subject in the back of a book or searching in a dictionary or encyclopedia. Computer file structure is handled automatically by most applications, so they are clueless when they have to do it themselves as they expect to have it done for them.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
That's why there was a recent thread asking how to organize and name files. At least that member understood the concept of files and directories.

Blame it on GUIs.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I can't help but wonder how they would handle c:\> ? GUIs are what "Bubbafied" computers and then they started selling them at Walmart... Solitaire was included in Windows to teach neophytes to use the newfangled Mouse. God only knows how many corporate hours are wasted on it and Facebook instead of doing real work!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I specifically put this topic in science for a reason... It's specifically how teachers of science "professors" are having problems with students. It's not about electronics.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
I wonder if you asked a student just starting college the product of say 432 and 62? Could they do the math manually with paper and pencil? I have to admit, I can still 'remember' how to do that but barely! But with computers I think we are all a little mathematically crippled by them. I can't remember the last time I did long division by hand. I think we are all effected to some degree by the ease of using machines to carry out arithmetic. It is becoming a lost art. I went for gas once and I had four 5 gallon cans, I told the cashier I wanted 20 gallons of gas. They did not know how to calculate the price, even having a calculator handy. They did not understand it is simply gallons times the by price per gallon is the total cost. Interesting world we live in now.

Last edited:

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
We are all prone to this. Example, when was the last time you did long division using paper and pencil? Last I can remember was in high school. I may have done it once or twice after that. Or say something like integration by parts? I hated that method.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But with computers I think we are all a little mathematically crippled by them.
Computers have made a lot of people dependent on them (i.e. dumber). That's why I always tell people starting out in electronics to make sure they have a good foundation before becoming dependent on simulators.

When I was still working, I routinely did math in my head. Others would pull out their calculators and realize that the answer I had already given them was close enough. When I was in a personal injury lawsuit, my attorney had to use a calculator to divide dollar amounts by 3. He'd give me the amounts to the cent while I rounded to dollars.

When calculators first became a thing, I watched my sister use a calculator to add a couple 3 digit numbers.

I was in college before calculators became a requirement. We even had a class on how to use slide rules. That class helped me in other classes, like physics, because it taught me to keep track of the decimal place. I can't count the number of times classmates wrote the wrong answer down; to several decimal places.

Don't get me started on cashiers who can't calculate change back in their head. I can't count the number of times I've had a total for something like $16.20. I give them $21.20 so I'd get a $5 bill back and not have a bunch of change and singles to carry, and they give me back the $1.20 as if I'm the idiot. They don't even need to think about it. Just enter the amount I gave them and the cash register would tell them the correct change.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Computers have made a lot of people dependent on them (i.e. dumber).
Some say Dumber, some say more efficient. Your grandfather probably called your dad dumber (or less of a craftsman) for using a power saw instead of a hand saw, a square and a hand plane to cut off a square edge.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your grandfather probably called your dad dumber (or less of a craftsman) for using a power saw instead of a hand saw, a square and a hand plane to cut off a square edge.
My Father's father never knew him as an adult; he (my Father) left home and came to the US when he was 12. My father never knew me as an adult either; he passed away when I was in junior high.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think because most young people use mobile devices instead of computers and the designers of mobile UIs go out of their way to obfuscate the fact they even have a directory structure.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
And I would have left too if my dad was calling me "dumb" for using a power saw.
This was in the 1930's and power saws weren't common for homeowners. I doubt that my grandfather ever called my Father dumb and my Father never called me dumb... So what's your point? Did someone call you dumb?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
This was in the 1930's and power saws weren't common for homeowners. I doubt that my grandfather ever called my Father dumb and my Father never called me dumb... So what's your point? Did someone call you dumb?
No, they called me more efficient.