What is a compression load cell?

Jhon Mick

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Hi friends, I'm about to start my final year project that is based on load cells. In that the compression load cell will be playing an important role. So for that purpose could someone please provide me some information about the same. Thanks in advance.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you give this link a read note how the force is applied to several load cells in a downward motion compressing the cell. Thus the term "compression" is used. There are many designs of the basic load cell but the terms tension and compression are ever popular. The load cell you linked to is a compression cell, think about how the force is applied "compressing" the cell. If we were pulling outward on the cell it would be tension, pushing in is compression.

Ron

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Load cells generally consist of one or more strain gauge elements (usually arranged as a Wheatstone bridge circuit) housed in a mechanical assembly that allows the strain gauge(s) to respond in a predictable and calibrated fashion to stresses (compressive, tensile or both) along a specific axis, while minimizing the response to stresses along other axes.

What exactly is it that you want to know?

Load/force---Element deformation---Strain gauge extended---Impedance change cause output change
In short,compression load cell is a sensing element which converts load/force into analog output(normally in mV signal) which is proportional to applied force ,but only in compression