What employers are looking for when they mention Embedded Linux Kernel

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi team

In a job ads, it mentions this:
Proficient in Embedded C++ or Embedded Linux Kernel.
I can understand the Embedded C++ part, but what are they looking for when they say Embedded Linux Kernel?? Like what do they expect me to do regarding "Proficient in Embedded Linux Kernel"

Thanks guys

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What exactly is the job requirement.

"Proficient in Embedded Linux Kernel" could mean anything from running Python scripts on an embedded system to writing device/protocol drivers for unique hardware.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
They do say "developing ISRs" which usually means Kernel module device/protocol driver developer in the Linux world. It could be low-level architecture code calls for specific hardware or the high-level driver API. Very few details in the job links.

https://bits4device.wordpress.com/2016/12/05/isr-linux-device-driver/
https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/understanding-the-linux/0596005652/ch04s06.html
I called them and they did say it's an immediate level job. Do you expect an immediate level job with this kind of experience? It looks like to me it's a senior role. What do you think?

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
You mean "intermediate" not "immediate". It says "Up to 3 years of industry experience." That doesn't sound very senior to me.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
You mean "intermediate" not "immediate". It says "Up to 3 years of industry experience." That doesn't sound very senior to me.
I mean do you expect someone with 3 years experience can be Proficient in Embedded C++ and Embedded Linux Kernel, developing device driver and protocol driver etc... ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I mean do you expect someone with 3 years experience can be Proficient in Embedded C++ and Embedded Linux Kernel, developing device driver and protocol driver etc... ?
'OR'. It's just a low bar for potential applicants from a recruiter for a wider pool. I don't think it's a gauge of expected talent by years.