What does this adapter mean?

penguinz0

Joined Jan 31, 2018
Hello everyone. I need adapter to charge my li-po batteries. I found one at home but don't know what it means in specs sticker. I need only one voltage but there is 4 more. There is no switches or outputs for every voltage. Will it adjust itself automatically?
I will upload the photo of adapter.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is there a voltage selector on the adapter?
If so, the voltage and current are related to each other as in the table.
The output power will be about the same each combination.

Bertus

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hello everyone. I need adapter to charge my li-po batteries. I found one at home but don't know what it means in specs sticker. I need only one voltage but there is 4 more. There is no switches or outputs for every voltage. Will it adjust itself automatically?
I will upload the photo of adapter.
This is a universal laptop power-pack made by Shenzhen Kelitai Technology Co., Ltd.. What voltage/current it delivers is based on what plug is connected.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Do the Li-Po have a charging circuit?
It's very dangerous to charge lithium batteries without a dedicated charge circuit to control the current and shut it off when the battery is charged.
Otherwise fires and explosions are not uncommon.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
This is a universal laptop power-pack made by Shenzhen Kelitai Technology Co., Ltd.. What voltage/current it delivers is based on what plug is connected.
How does the adapter know what connector is attached?

At first I thought it was just a way of showing voltage sag based on current draw but the numbers aren't exact. (19.5*4.5 = 91.65). So, I'm guessing that they have 5 contracts that they fulfill with a single SKU.

And I echo the point that lithium batteries need a charger designed specifically for them. In fact, it needs to know the specific terminal voltage to avoid over charging. Can't be said enough. LiIons and LiPos are finicky beasts that burst into fire to show their displeasure.

penguinz0

Joined Jan 31, 2018
Do the Li-Po have a charging circuit?
It's very dangerous to charge lithium batteries without a dedicated charge circuit to control the current and shut it off when the battery is charged.
Otherwise fires and explosions are not uncommon.
I have charging circuit called imax b6. It needs 12v 5A but im scared of this adapter that it will fry my circuit and blow the battery :D

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If your charger requires 12V at 5A then an adapter whose output voltage is in the 15V-20V range is unsuitable on its own to power the charger. A DC-DC buck converter could give you the 12V.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
As usual, the question doesn't include helpful enough information and we have drag it out of the poster. It turns out it's not a circuit but an actual charger available from Hobby King. With specs. Specs that tell you the input voltage range. The range of input is below the range of the power supply in question. Sigh... Why do posters do that? Like it's a secret or something? A simple link to the Hobby King page in the first post would have made this straight forward.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just buy the proper adapter.. that is not suitable for 12V no matter what..

A 12V @5A power supply is dirt cheap.. as little as $10 or less on Amazon.. delivered to your door as soon as tomorrow..-

Even if you used that.. you would still need another Dc/DC converter to convert to 12V... That converter will cost more than the proper adapter..