What does number 4 convert to on a ceramic capacitor?

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Repaig a board and this capacitor is dead. All it says is 4. and i cant find any like that online so i need to vigure out its pf and volts.

P.S. does a green ceramic and brown make a difference? its green, i think it can be the tan brown ones?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
That's not enough information to be sure but if it's a very small disk, the value is probably 4 pF with a 50V rating though that's not a standard value. Ceramic capacitors have a very low failure rate unless crushed so another possiblility is that you're mistaking a 4A pico fuse or even a diode for an axial lead capacitor. Can you post a clear close up picture?

Last edited:

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
a prong busted out the side taking a chuck of ceramic with it. I cant really get a picture. I dont have the car apart right now. I also need to replace a diiode that is brown black green but the value on the is 4.7 so im set there

the capacitor says 4. doesnt say anything else. dont know where im supposed to get one

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
a prong busted out the side taking a chuck of ceramic with it.
Will be really helpful if you can take a picture. Where the piece of ceramic is missing there might have been another number, right? Where is the "4". On the left or on the right?
Is something written on the board from which one could conclude what kind of component it is, like C something?

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
no the prong didnt take anything off. the 4 is in the center of it. I dont have time to take a pic. I gotta pack for a trip really soon. The board says c10 as a placment

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
no the prong didnt take anything off. the 4 is in the center of it. I dont have time to take a pic. I gotta pack for a trip really soon. The board says c10 as a placment
Ok. so it's really 4pF. Newark and digikey have them (problem shipping cost), your local electronics store may have them too.

have a nice trip

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I Still cant find this capacitor any where. I have 2 of these circuit boards. The older model had a brownish tan capacitor and this newer one has a green capacitor. both are ceramic

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I cant find a 4pf. whats an alternative? theres no such thing as 4 any more.

Every time i search for 4pf i get 104 at 0.1uf capacitors which is 10x4 isnt it?

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
which ones are you looking for? I got tons of stay laying around.
well i used to have tons. my wife made me throw most of the stuff i wouldnt use in the trash.
i have some sorts of stuff then lol