What does "LPS" on a power supply mean?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I see that the acronym stands for "limited power supply", and I've read this but I still don't quite get it. Why would you put that on the label of an AC/DC adapter? Is it just a statement of compliance with a standard? Are there examples of AC adapters that are not LPS worthy?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I see that the acronym stands for "limited power supply", and I've read this but I still don't quite get it. Why would you put that on the label of an AC/DC adapter? Is it just a statement of compliance with a standard? Are there examples of AC adapters that are not LPS worthy?
It's pretty much stating that a power supply can provide say 30v and 3 amp and no more .. Somethings can be ran above their specifications ,but with LPS the circuit has protection against it in order to be a safer product in case of error or failure..

Hope it helps

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
LPS = Limited Power Source
Basically 20VDC or less output and meeting the other requirements by the use of PTC fuses,etc...
Making it "consumer" safe to access without a tool or trained individual.

Tests and marking requirements come from the standard bodies..
UL60950, UL 2054,etc.. (and their IEC/EN,etc.. equivalents)

If a piece of electrical or electronic equipment supplying DC power to external devices is to be installed by a third party, such as an electrician, the risk of wiring fires & electrical shock needs to be minimized. By using a Limited Power Source, the system wiring can also be reduced, saving cost.

Perhaps in the manner of a limited disinfectant? -- IOW specified only to extent tested...?