What are your dream projects?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I'm interested in knowing what the people here are getting enthousiastic about in terms of electronic projects.
What are projects you would like to build, or you did build and would like to improve?

I have a few preferred subjects, some are useful, others would be just for fun:

- a wireless and semi-automatic lighting system for my home (this is what I'm working on right no)

- a 100% working system for absolute and total noise cancellation inside a house for example... without having to carry around $300 Bose headphones that still let pass something. This is something I'd really like to do but have no idea how. Everything that exists works more or less, not 100%, i.e. -a lot dB.

- a self guided swimming robot I could give some GPS target data and it goes wherever it is programmed to. This would be just for fun, as I don't see any usefulness to it...yet

So what are yours?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I want to build a computer that is MS/Windows/virus free. (Really, it can be done and I know how to do it.)

On another topic:
I had to beg two gentlemen not to spread their viruses.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I want to build a computer that is MS/Windows/virus free. (Really, it can be done and I know how to do it.)

On another topic:
I had to beg two gentlemen not to spread their viruses.
That will have to be a true "personal computer". As soon as it becomes commercially available there will be people trying to hack it. I don't even know what's the purpose of viruses that do not serve to spy on you. I mean those that are just harmful to your files. What's the purpose of it? I mean the guy who invented it doesn't even see what his baby is doing.... Or is it the Anti-virus companies who invent them?:rolleyes:

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I would personally love to build my computer from scratch and save up the money to buy all the materials I need. Everything from lots of transistors, transformer, wood, fan, buttons. I would cheat a little and use a PIC 18F as my VGA output and have my computer save information on a hard drive disk and maybe allow it to interact with 512K of ram for kicks.

It maybe reinventing the wheel, but that's a true way to learn from first hand experience, building a machine that can do it all.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I would personally love to build my computer from scratch and save up the money to buy all the materials I need.
That would be a project you can work on for many many many years. You will be learning a lot though ..;)

I want to fly.
Ahem, how is this related to electronics? :D Can you elaborate? I'd be very interested. I think I know why you want this... takes too much times to go from one isle to the other by boat, right?

Have a look at this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E77j1imdhQ

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, as soon as we're done with R!f@@'s project, ajm113 and I will show you how to build your own personal computer that is virus free.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I used to build computers for fun, but then they started getting cute with parts. Things like SATA, or video card updates every year. The CPU changes I can justify, but the rest smacks of planned obsolescence.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I would like to finish my damn clock.
Then I would like to build a nuclear fusor. Then a coilgun large enough to accelerate a projectile past the sound barrier. Then a gigantic tesla coil. Then a teleporter or antigravity machine would be nice. Maybe a time machine.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I would like to finish my damn clock.
Then I would like to build a nuclear fusor. Then a coilgun large enough to accelerate a projectile past the sound barrier. Then a gigantic tesla coil. Then a teleporter or antigravity machine would be nice. Maybe a time machine.
I like the coilgun project too. Some time ago I read a lot about it. I'm not sure what I could use it for, though...

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I'm aware of teslas research, and regularly wonder what would have happened if he had actually completed wardenclyffe tower. It would have worked, that's why they shut it down. They realized they couldn't get people to pay for energy if they could just get it from the air.
The question is how well it would have worked, and what the public reaction would have been.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm aware of teslas research, and regularly wonder what would have happened if he had actually completed wardenclyffe tower. It would have worked, that's why they shut it down. They realized they couldn't get people to pay for energy if they could just get it from the air.
The question is how well it would have worked, and what the public reaction would have been.
All current EM theory predicts it wouldn't work as he thought and that he (Tesla) made a fundamental mistake in the theory of energy transmission.
http://205.243.100.155/frames/Non-Herzian_Waves.html

But with the usage of maxwell fourth equation and devices with polarization currents that can change at a rate faster then light speed we can generate RF energy in beams that don't have inverse square losses.
http://library.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/getfile?01000044.pdf

That would be a dream project, building a wireless power system using directed low-loss RF beams.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I want to finish my dang brushed motor controller and then make a super high power brushless motor controller. and then I want to start learning about brushless motors to the point I can build one. The direction I'm going with this, is I want to build a EV-sized (and not a weak EV, a competitive one) brushless motor & controller. AFAIK theres not a BLDC motor big enough to move a car, and if there was, there's no controller for it.

EDIT: oh yeah, and I bought a bunch of russian VFD tubes (like nixie tube) I want to make some clocks out of.

and I want to build a compressed air hammer

and coil guns look fun too...

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
When I start a degree I want to build a Power Transformer (400v-11Kv). I've already started the design in my head sat on public transport on way to college, it's always the project management that catches me out. I've already started saving :rolleyes:.

The BTEC National Diploma was a drill powered generator, this year for the HND i've already designed a brushed DC motor to build - it's similar to Teslas Induction Motor but DC with an AC/DC variable power supply then for the degree I want a Power Transformer under my belt in order to put the cherry on the cake.