What are the steps i should consider while designing an antenna for millimeter wave applications ?

aswinkumar

Joined Nov 24, 2015
What type of antenna structure should i go for designing an antenna for millimeter wave(30Ghz to 300Ghz) applications?

what should i consider for designing such an antenna?

it would be helpful if anybody attach a paper or a link that could help me to move with my design regarding this, i am using HFSS software for this.

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
Google search "millimeter wave antenna design" and you'll see a list of articles, books, and even images to get you started. Be aware that there is as much "art" as there is "science" in millimeter antennas, which is another way of saying that you can expect a lot of trial and error and repeat.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank you Genius for your answer, i hope so you do the same for your target aiming.
As it happens I do use this technique for aiming antennas, on both ends of the path. How do you think we do it? Maybe by hyper electromagnetic sensitivity or electromagnetic divining rods. You might want to think twice before you ridicule people on a subject you seem to know very little about. I didn't think your request for information was qualified in any way.
I guess if you're so smart you can figure it out on your own. Good Luck with that.

Last edited:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
just like anything else, first you have to decide what kind of antenna you want, omnidirectional, directional, polarity, and such, and go from there.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
a rifle scope would be useful on a direectional antenna, milimeter wave directional antennas approach optical charistics, and can have very narrow beam patterns. even at 400 mhz, pointing an antenna by guess when you cant see the other antenna is very problematic.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
What type of antenna structure should i go for designing an antenna for millimeter wave(30Ghz to 300Ghz) applications?

what should i consider for designing such an antenna?

it would be helpful if anybody attach a paper or a link that could help me to move with my design regarding this, i am using HFSS software for this.
Is this point-to-point or an omnidirectional antenna? If it's point to point, you can probably start out with just a feed horn