what are some common exam questions?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Depends on the subject. My open book exam for RADAR principles was completely different from my open book exam on digital logic. They did have one thing in common, however. None of the answers were in any of the books. We had to use the books as reference material to figure out the answers.

My open book exam for my electrician's license was quite different. The goal there was to be familiar enough with the NEC and State codes to be able to quickly look up the (well buried) answers.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Open book tests are more difficult as the questions must be read very carefully, as the questions can propose the obscure scenarios.

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
Not be anal, but the 1337 speak is annoying.

I am sure AAC has tutorials on the text book definitions of current, voltage, and resistance along with circuit analysis techniques.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
A test, whether open-book or closed-book, should command the same level of preparation. If you prepare for the test as though it were a closed book test then you will surely score well since you will have the book to fall back on in the event you need to refer to it during the exam.

hgmjr

Sparky

Joined Aug 1, 2005
For the subject matter you mentioned: "Basic concpets of voltage, current, resistance, and so on", I don't see the advantage of having an open book test over closed book.

I would assume by having an open book test, you're not forcing the student to memorize equations. However, with the topics mentioned, I would expect the student to memorize the applicable equations.

With the stated concepts, I would say an open book test would look very similar to a closed book test -

The student would show he can apply Ohm's law, can calculate power, understands how to simplify networks, and can apply the network theorems covered so far.

None of these require a great deal of pure memorization. They do require practice (homework).

Now - if you make a take-home exam then you can have some problems that might require some simulation and other use of a computer because time to take the exam would not be as constrained.

-Sparky