What are employers looking at student project

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Hi
I am looking for project idea for my college project. I am looking something that include microcontroller. I write my code in C language. I want to build something that employee want to see on resume or something they will be interesting. I want to complete something long project that will make them feel I have learned something or I know how to do any feedback will apricate

Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you intend it to be innovative, i.e. not re-inventing the wheel?
Pic a type of application and browse the Microchip web site for APP notes pertinent to the subject.
e.g. SCR , PWM APP notes etc, etc.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You would be best off if your project relates to your long term interests. What is it that you want to be doing after you graduate? Whatever that is, do that! The project will come out better if it is something that you are truly interested in and it will also be helpful getting your foot in the door in a business related to your intended field.

Try hard to make your first job be in your chose field. Once you get into a field as it is difficult to switch to your chosen career later.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I seriously doubt that any employers will give a care. I never did when I was looking for someone to hire. Do something you are interested in. Why do we think it is necessary to do things for people who could care less.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Remote sensing and IOT (Internet Of Things) is popular these days.

I would suggest pursuing something with wide-scale appeal such as farming and growing food.
Check out FarmBot.

Try something such as remote sensing of soil moisture. Send soil moisture and temperature to a computer via radio.

FlyingDutch

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Hi
I am looking for project idea for my college project. I am looking something that include microcontroller. I write my code in C language. I want to build something that employee want to see on resume or something they will be interesting. I want to complete something long project that will make them feel I have learned something or I know how to do any feedback will apricate

Thank you
Hello,

IMHO "Delta Robot" is project which is interesting, interdisciplinary and you can learn much doing it. There is many issues from mechnics , electronics and informatics (programming). I think such project can attract attention of potential Employer.
For example see links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_robot
https://www.instructables.com/Delta-Robot-With-a-Custom-GUI-and-Image-Processing/

Best regards

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Create something you like or think may be useful. I don't personally think it needs to be novel in any way if this is for your undergraduate project. My senior project was a galvanostat design with a few colleagues at the school. I ended up working in power and controls most of my career as a result, because I loved it. It sounds like you like embedded systems - so create something embedded and interface it to the real world. Write a cyclic executive routine to make things work reasonably well with some interrupt based timers, some serial busses, some PWM, some ADC, etc. and show that you're controlling or sensing something in the real world.

What your project controls is not really the point. The point is that you've learned how to program a microcontroller, how to sense something in the real world, and how to control something else as a result. Bring whatever you develop to the interview and be prepared to talk about it and describe what you've done, why, and discuss the technical challenges and what you've learned.

Every company and manager is different and will want different things from their employees - you'll never know what that is ahead of time. With new grads, I usually want to see that you can think for yourself, have some reasonable understanding of first and second order circuits, opamps, serial busses, PWM, and filters in regard to their technical ability. I also need to know that they can communicate reasonably well, have a good attitude, and can do what I need you to do. When someone brings a previous project that they've worked on then we can have a comfortable conversation about something that the interviewee understands, and I can test all of these aspects of your knowledge to see if you're a good fit for my company and the culture here.

I have enough experience that I can quickly adjust to whatever you bring and ask you questions about it. If you don't bring show and tell, then we start talking about stuff that I'm interested in and testing you on stuff you've perhaps never seen before - making the interview go south in a hurry, usually. (Hint: Bringing something to an interview also lets me know that, at least at some level, you're interested in electronics.)

Last edited:

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Very good and constructive advice!
It has been more than 4 months since the author asked about his project. I am interested to know what result he has achieved during this time and what he is working on now.
I have been promoted to next class due to covid. My main focus right now is to learn the basics. I've learned a lot in the last few months. I've development board it has LCD, Seven segment, EEPROM, RTC, Switches, ADC. I learned programming for all modules @JohnInTX forum moderator has taught me a many things. Other members @trebla @hexreader have also helped me. I have learned UART, SPI, I2C communication protocol's. currently I am learning programming for matrix keypad This is last module in development board. My next target's to learn CAN protocol. When it would complete then I will work on big project.

Beau Schwabe

Joined Nov 7, 2019
If you want to turn a head or two, study an employer that you are interested in and learn what they do. Solve a problem with your own solution in parallel with something they do. It doen't have to be exact, just convey that you have an in-depth understanding and vested interest. Then present that as part of your portfolio when going to an interview or submitting a resume.

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
@tindel has given very good advice. I appreciate him for giving valuable suggestions. When I asked the question, I was trying to make a school project, I wanted to make a project on a topic that would be useful in job interview to show my skills and knowledge.

Due to covid we could not study and we were promoted to the next class. Due to which no progress could be made in the school project. Now I don't need to submit a college project.

I completely agree with the given suggestions that employers gives more importance to the skills than what the project has been made in the resume.

I have tested the devices that were available on my development board by writing programs for them but I haven't done any real world projects yet.

I like automotive domain and want to make my career in this field. I am currently working for Matrix Keypad. My next goal is to learn the CAN protocol first and then build a real world project.

My main aim is to learn whatever skills I need to get the job. I learned so far how to write code for microcontrollers how to write code for protocols like Uart, SPI, I2C

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi tindel,
That user was adding site promotion links to your original Quotes.
If you recall his posts did not add anything useful to your thread, more like a spam bot.

E

Example: added to your original Quote.
Use < promo link> to close such disciplines and focus more on what you really like.

I also recommend not to waste time on subjects that interest you little. Use <Deleted Link>to close such disciplines and focus more on what you really like.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Due to covid we could not study and we were promoted to the next class. Due to which no progress could be made in the school project. Now I don't need to submit a college project.
When I was interviewing engineering candidates, I never cared much about school projects. If it was a PhD thesis that was applicable to what we were doing, I'd ask for details. What was more important was their work experience, technical knowledge, and ability to work with a team.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
School projects can be limited with the class requirements, time limits, and teamwork involved. Having said that you can still make interesting projects which shows understanding and depth.

Go further and develop your own personal projects after or parallel with school projects. I have projects from school that is interesting for the couple months or few weeks spent on it. I have personal projects that have much more time and iterations than is possible than an end of the semester project.

The problem with school projects is that there are usually no practical use for them after you get your grade… therefore the design does not follow rules of practicality, usefulness and efficiency.