Weller WES51 Overheating Problem

raz4u

Joined May 21, 2021
Hi , I have Weller WES51 for last two year its been working fine but lately notice the pencil is overheating. Also have another WES51 working just fine so did compare both circuit did some measurements find one component measure very off reading 02U1. Can some one know what this component is ? Red Arrow in picture please share the part number if someone has it.Thanks

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That device looks like a chip resistor, and it also looks OK. How did you measure it? And can you measure the same part on the other iron control board? What was the resistance reading and what did you expect it to be???

raz4u

Joined May 21, 2021
My Guess is its a PTC Fuse the second soldering iron this device is label LF020 After little research find out it is a Temperature Coefficient Fuse.

Attachments

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Before you get too far down the board/component repair rabbit hole, make sure you have a fully functional iron plugged in. Element and sensor faults are not uncommon. If you have a known good iron, plug it in to the suspect base to test.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Good point to bring up but he has 2 stations so he probably already cross tested.
The TS has made no mention of swapping the two irons to see if the problem is with the iron or the controller. So I would not presume that any such swap has been tried. It does make a whole lot of sene to do that.