Well, happy... err... AACday to me...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I just happened to notice today is my 3-year AAC anniversary. It' been great to get to know so many of you here. It's really become one of my online homes and frankly, it feels like I have known the regulars here for longer than that. I guess that's a good sign that this place is mostly simpatico.

Thanks to all of you who contribute here. To the regulars who are always about to help. To the neophyte posters who ask questions that lead me to learn new things; and particularly to the ones that stay around and join us. Of course to the moderation staff for doing an often thankless job with grace (most of the time :)) and particularly to @jrap who is the one who loses sleep when something is wrong with the forum and I can't come here and blather on about whatever it is I have to blather about that day.

I look forward to many more returns of the day.

[EDIT: time travel correction]

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
When I first joined this place (a while back, as you can easily verify) I was only a lurker. I loved to read all the fascinating conversations about electronics, of course, but also the off topic section. I was way too busy (and a little shy, I must admit) to participate much. But then, thankfully, with time my projects demanded more and more involvement in the field of electronics. So you could say I was pushed into the crowd.

The rest is history. And yes, I am as grateful as Yaakov is for this place and the people in it. ... And I also miss those who, sadly, have departed this world ... especially @OBW0549. He was a good friend and helped me many times over. I never met him personally but his friendship was as real as it gets.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You’ve been a real asset to the forum, both in your technical content and in your calm demeanor. Hope to see you around for many more years.

Bob
Thank you so much. Your comment means a lot to me. I am a bit embarrassed because my post was intended to express gratitude to others, including you, not to solicit compliments. But I certainly appreciate your sentiments.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There you go again... always seeking the spotlight and wanting to be the center of attention ... :p:D
I am glad I know you well enough to recognize a joke. Some days, the fear of people actually believing that to be the case weighs on me. I actually don‘t have the world’s highest self esteem, it turns out.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am glad I know you well enough to recognize a joke. Some days, the fear of people actually believing that to be the case weighs on me. I actually don‘t have the world’s highest self esteem, it turns out.
Of course it's a joke, my friend... that's what emojis are for; to make sure that the spirit of the message is clear.

As for one's self esteem. I believe it's a trait that should always be kept in a balance. Too much is detrimental to those around you. Too little is detrimental to oneself. And judging from the little I know you, you're doing just fine in that regard.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And here's a thought. In the past whenever people have wrongfuly perceived me as being needful of attention, or even arrogant in some respects, it's because they're confusing enthusiasm with hubris.

Whenever someone touches a subject that I'm deeply interested in (and that is more or less unusual, such as electronics), I light up and can become quite talkative, and that might give the wrong impression to some people.

I believe humility is always the best policy. It's always the right attitude if you're looking to make friends and learn new things.

Heck, what can I say? Humility is just another of my many, many virtues... :p (<- emoji to make sure that this last paragraph is understood as a joke)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
And here's a thought. In the past whenever people have wrongfuly perceived me as being needful of attention, or even arrogant in some respects, it's because they're confusing enthusiasm with hubris.

Whenever someone touches a subject that I'm deeply interested in (and that is more or less unusual, such as electronics), I light up and can become quite talkative, and that might give the wrong impression to some people.

I believe humility is always the best policy. It's always the right attitude if you're looking to make friends and learn new things.

Heck, what can I say? Humility is just another of my many, many virtues... :p (<- emoji to make sure that this last paragraph is understood as a joke)
Richard Feynman said:
Be teachable! You’re not always right. We all need to practice the humility necessary for growth and learning.
1643407479087.png